Old 01-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default Father has prostate cancer

My father has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He is 84 years old in otherwise good health. I think that it must have been caught in the early stages as my parents are very careful with their health and have frequent checkups. I haven't heard what their plan of action will be. As I said, he is in otherwise good health, but he has been failing a bit, losing strength, etc.
It's nice to just say it without having to mince words or put a "good face" on it. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

at 84 the fact is that everyone would be losing a step. The fact that they caught it is awesome! So many treatments are harsh though and and would be hard for an older body to handle. I really hope everything works out.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:34 PM

My friend's grandfather was also diagnosed later in life. The doctors said it doesn't progress as quickly as some other cancers, so there's more time to try different options. He was on some estrogen, if I'm not mistaken, and even grew fuller hair! It shrank the tumor successfully. I know there are different options for this problem.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:10 PM

Thanks for your kind words, hurgoll. Lyndsey, you gave me a good laugh and I'll tell you why. My father has always had very full and curly hair. As he got older, he didn't lose any hair and instead of being gray or white, his hair is this beautiful platinum. He's always been extremely proud of it. I bet he'd go on estrogen right now if it gave him more hair!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 PM

I am sorry to hear that your father has been diagnosed with this. I have a friend that caught this early and when caught early it is much easier to treat. Thank goodness your parents keep up on their health. Now if I could only get my parents to understand the necessity of this also.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:44 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the diagnosis of your father. Hopefully it was caught early and can be effectively treated.

A few years ago my mother had an early detection of breast cancer, which was very successfully dealt with.

It's good to hear you have your sense of humour intact.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
My father has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He is 84 years old in otherwise good health. I think that it must have been caught in the early stages as my parents are very careful with their health and have frequent checkups. I haven't heard what their plan of action will be. As I said, he is in otherwise good health, but he has been failing a bit, losing strength, etc.
It's nice to just say it without having to mince words or put a "good face" on it. Thanks.
I'm sorry to hear of this, mollyL. I happen to know that there are some new and exciting treatments and your dad will be offered options that were not heard of just a decade ago. Then according to his PSA numbers and Gleason score, sometimes they choose to just "watch" certain cases of prostate cancer. Keep us posted on how he's doing!
Old 02-14-2008, 07:46 PM

Thanks, Katharina and everyone, for your kind words. The newest news is that my parents are moving from a very dry, polluted area to the coast, and that makes me very happy. They will be closer to my brothers and also closer to their clinic.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Katharina and everyone, for your kind words. The newest news is that my parents are moving from a very dry, polluted area to the coast, and that makes me very happy. They will be closer to my brothers and also closer to their clinic.
That sounds like a move that will be good for them... and positive. Has your dad found out yet what is recommended for treatment, or if it's one of the cases that will just be watched for changes?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:51 AM

My grandfather was facing the same problem. But he was 90 years old at that time when he was diagnosed with this cancer thing. As now he is not with us any more. But I pray to God that some miracle happens and and every thing would be fine.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Default Father has prostate cancer

Hello,

My name is Luis I go by the Wellness Crusader. I'm visiting this forum to spread the word of natural healing. I came across your posts and I wanted to share an article about prostate cancer.
Its titled Prostate Cancer and PSA Screening: a Must Read
Heres the link:
[url]http://wellnesscrusader.wordpress.com/2009/11/29/prostate-cancer-and-psa-screening-a-must-read/[/url]

I wish your family a healthy strong recovery.

Thank you,
Luis
Old 02-15-2008, 06:29 PM

That is great that they are moving closer to the clinic and family. Being surrounded by family I would imagine can only help. Keep us posted.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:12 PM

I would be so afraid to be told if I had cancer that we will watch it and see if it changes. I think it would drive me nuts because I would just want it gone. Hope to hear that things are going well. You haven't been on in a few.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater03 View Post
I would be so afraid to be told if I had cancer that we will watch it and see if it changes. I think it would drive me nuts because I would just want it gone. Hope to hear that things are going well. You haven't been on in a few.
Some cancers grow so slowly that when the age of the patient is factored in, the recommended treatment is "watchful waiting." There are also treatments like hormones for prostate cancer that are often tried first.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:34 PM

That must be how they are dealing with my father's cancer. My mom has booked them on a cruise next month, so that must mean things are at least stable.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
That must be how they are dealing with my father's cancer. My mom has booked them on a cruise next month, so that must mean things are at least stable.
I'm glad to hear this. Yes, some of those cancers are very slow and trying to treat them would cause more trouble than they'd help if a patient is older. I do hope his doctor is good with follow-up appointments, though.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:40 AM

They have started my father on radiation and so they are not going on their cruise. They are, however, moving closer to my brothers and I'm glad to hear that since they are both in their 80s now and shouldn't be so far away from family.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:58 AM

I'm sorry, He will be in my prayers.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:30 AM

I hope everything works out for your dad Molly. Hopefully being caught early he will be okay and live many more years. I'm praying for your dad. Best always.