HealthPost.ca - Health Forum Canada

HealthPost.ca - Health Forum Canada (/)
-   Postpartum (/forums/womens-health/postpartum/)
-   -   Did You Suffer Postpartum Depression? (/forums/womens-health/postpartum/132-did-you-suffer-postpartum-depression.html)

katharina 02-28-2008 08:03 AM

Did You Suffer Postpartum Depression?

Was this ever a problem for you after a pregnancy? I had some new-mom anxiety after my daughter was born, but luckily it never got worse or moved into postpartum. What's your story? And if you suffered, how did you treat it?

Green-Moo 02-29-2008 08:45 AM

Thankfully, I never suffered from any more than mild baby blues but I think it must be incredibly difficult to diagnose. I mean, allot of new moms are so exhausted that they feel and act like zombies. It must be really hard to tell when 'normal' turns into something more.

tater03 03-01-2008 11:12 PM

No, thank goodness I didn't. The baby blues was enough for me. I could not imagine having to suffer from postpartum depression.

katharina 03-07-2008 11:39 AM

[QUOTE=tater03;707]No, thank goodness I didn't. The baby blues was enough for me. I could not imagine having to suffer from postpartum depression.[/QUOTE]

For sure! The draggy tiredness those first few months alone is sometimes unbearable, let alone having a clinical form of depression added on top of it. That would be so extremely difficult! :(

micheal 04-14-2008 03:56 AM

My wife was a mess after having our child. It got so bad that we had to get her some medication to kind of ward off the anxiety she was having. I didn't understand it until we went to go see her doctor.

Lacey Anne 04-21-2008 05:25 PM

I struggled a bit after #3. I had thirteen month old twins and newborn and it was HARD. I got through it without ever having to use medication, but it was a really long first few months with lost of exhaustion, tears and overwhelming fear.

Serenity 05-31-2008 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=Lacey Anne;1248]I struggled a bit after #3. I had thirteen month old twins and newborn and it was HARD. I got through it without ever having to use medication, but it was a really long first few months with lost of exhaustion, tears and overwhelming fear.[/QUOTE]

Lacey Anne, you deserve a pat on the back for managing to come out the other end all by yourself without any meds! I can't imagine how hard twins alone must be, never mind adding a newborn to the mix. There's only sixteen months between my sister and I and I always thought that would be a real challenge but you win. :D

Seriously, I tip my hat to you. How did you ever get any time to recharge your batteries? Did you have much support? I'm interested. :)

Lyndsey 09-28-2008 01:01 AM

post partum

I think my cousin has been suffering from post partum depression and has not admitted it to herself. I was wondering how long it can go on for and what can happen if it's left untreated.

mollyL 09-28-2008 05:34 PM

When I had my son, I think I did have a bit of postpartum depression, but what I really got were horrible migraines. My son was about a month old and one AM I woke up to the worst headache I ever had. My mum was away on vacation, but I called one of her friends. She took the baby until my hubby came home from work. Had Mum been home she could have explained all about migraines.
I had really bad postpartum depression after I had my daughter, but I didn't understand what it was. Migraines and a case of pneumonia when my daughter was a few months over masked my symptoms. It wasn't until the PPD was basically over until I realised I'd had it.