Old 11-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default Microwave Cooking

Has anyone else here heard of negative effects of microwave cooking?

A couple weeks ago I was in a "green" coffee shop that had a notice up saying they didn't use microwaves, because of the negative health effects associated with them.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:40 PM

I've heard people say there is supposed to be negative health effects from microwave cooking. Does anyone know what they might be?
I know that people with pacemakers and certain electronic testing devices ( for heart, mostly) need to stay back from microwaves but that's all I know about it.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:51 AM

I saw a demo done with the water used in two plants. One plant was fed tap water and the other was fed water that had been microwaved and cooled to the same temp as the tap water and the plant fed tap water did well and the other plant died after a few months. The microwave plant showed bad health the whole way. I never tried this but did plan to. I will some day just to see for myself. They said the microwave destroyed the water enough to make the plant feel like it was getting none or very little. Interesting to think what it might be doing to our food or drinks and we don't even know it.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

Microwave ovens change the molecular struture of food, so when eated it is hard for the body to recognized it as food and use it, sometimes it could even recognize it as poison.

I remember reading a story about a lawsuit somewhere in the US, the patient went into the hospital for a hip surgery, the nurse heated the blood but in the microwave oven, the patient died rightaway from a single blood transfusion.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:27 AM

I forgot to mention that microwave "radiation" gets out of the machine and reaches up to 9' around and goes through walls, I don't think I want to be standing near one while is on, I got rid of ours when we first moved in together(1996) and haven't find my self in a ituation where I need one.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:08 AM
New User: cough cough

As a medical professional, I can say that other than the neutrition negative effects of Micro Wasven Cooking there's no side effects at all...
Old 01-25-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nathanial View Post
As a medical professional, I can say that other than the neutrition negative effects of Micro Wasven Cooking there's no side effects at all...
No offense intended, but have you actually studied the effects of microwave ovens on people?

It seems if we wait long enough, we can hear conflicting reports on just about everything.

Last edited by Taggart; 01-25-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: wording
Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jullee View Post
Microwave ovens change the molecular struture of food, so when eated it is hard for the body to recognized it as food and use it, sometimes it could even recognize it as poison.

I remember reading a story about a lawsuit somewhere in the US, the patient went into the hospital for a hip surgery, the nurse heated the blood but in the microwave oven, the patient died rightaway from a single blood transfusion.
That sounds a bit of an urban legend. I don't know of any reason that transfused blood should be heated, and I don't believe that operating theatres or the technical rooms surrounding them have microwaves ovens.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nathanial View Post
I would have to agree with you, I wouldn't think Micro Ovens could be sold if there were serious health risks involved.

I might for giggles try out the "plant" experiment, except I'm also going to boil water on the stove to see if its the microwave or just heated water that has effects on the plant. (if true)
Old 01-25-2009, 10:10 PM

There was also the old story of putting the wet cat in the microwave oven to dry, and...! The first guy that told us, I could believe he'd do such a thing. As time went on we heard more and more people say they knew someone who had done this...
Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 AM

I think the plant experiment would be an interesting one to observe.

I don't necessarily always trust the government agencies to know everything about products that reach the market. For example, remember the birth defects associated with Thalidomide?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
I think the plant experiment would be an interesting one to observe.

I don't necessarily always trust the government agencies to know everything about products that reach the market. For example, remember the birth defects associated with Thalidomide?
I don't either. I often heard people nagging about how the gov. tax and rip off the med. class, how they mismanaged the tax payers $, that they work for the "big business man", how much they screw up by making bad calls, etc. But it surprises me that these same people, when it comes to their health, blindly trust the gov. with it and accept what they approve or not.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 AM

I am not a medical expert but I believe the machine they use for blood transfusions has a heating system in it that gets the blood to the right temp as it is being put in the body.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:23 AM

really this is a news to me i thought the food cooked in microwave is better in all sense.
i will have to be lil careful before giving the microwave cooked food to my kids
Old 02-15-2009, 12:36 AM

What about people that have been using microwaves for 20, even 30 years? They are still alive aren't they?

If microwave ovens are no good, can you suggest a better and convenient alternative?
Old 02-15-2009, 04:46 AM

Default 20 or 30 years

zpzpzp said: What about people that have been using microwaves for 20, even 30 years? They are still alive aren't they?

If microwave ovens are no good, can you suggest a better and convenient alternative?

Well, I guess that I probably fall into that category of having used a microwave for at least twenty years. I'm anecdotal evidence that there are no apparent consequences, then again some folks smoke cigarettes and drink hooch into their 90s, right?