Old 07-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

Default Best to set goals or just keep working?

Is it better to set goals like losing a certain amount of weight or should you just change your lifestyle and hope the results show at some point?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
Is it better to set goals like losing a certain amount of weight or should you just change your lifestyle and hope the results show at some point?
I think realistic goals are great... but "realistic" is important. Changing lifestyle is how to *do* it, but something like "I'd sure like to be 15 pounds less by Christmas and it's doable!" shouldn't hurt anything. Keeps the focus in mind.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:21 PM

I'd try some lifestyle changes first, although it would in the short run take more time than sticking to a goal. It might be better in the long run since you've changed habits.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
I'd try some lifestyle changes first, although it would in the short run take more time than sticking to a goal. It might be better in the long run since you've changed habits.
No matter what's done first or second and in what order, it's going to have to ultimately be a lifestyle change that will be successful with dieting. So that said, I'm not sure it matters what comes first but a jump start while going toward a goal may be a good place to start now that I'm thinking of it.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:20 AM

I think it depends on your personality, what is an incentive for some people is a turn off for others. Just losing a set amount of weight is not likely to achieve lasting change unless you change your lifestyle, so I would say that exercise and healthy eating are the top priority. Set achievable goals and targets because if you set impossible targets you are more likely to give up.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justontime View Post
I think it depends on your personality, what is an incentive for some people is a turn off for others. Just losing a set amount of weight is not likely to achieve lasting change unless you change your lifestyle, so I would say that exercise and healthy eating are the top priority. Set achievable goals and targets because if you set impossible targets you are more likely to give up.
That sums it up pretty well, I agree. It's kind of like deadlines with work... some people work better with them and others freeze up and can't get a thing done with a deadline looming.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:22 PM

Default Best to set goals

I think that it is best to set a goal. It is hard to always stay on a diet, so I think setting a goal is good thing. It gives you something to work towards.