Old 07-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default Anyone like energy drinks?

I know they're probably really unhealthy but I do love Red Bull. There's one that I can't remember the name of that's got ginseng in it and it's revolting.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:57 AM

I must pick the wrong energy drinks; they all taste nasty. Then they make me nervous, or should I say, more nervous. As caffeine goes, I guess I'll stick to me cuppa tea.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 PM

I agree Molly, I would rather have a cup of tea! I have tried Red Bull once, but I don't really see why ordinary people need energy drinks if they have a balanced diet
Old 07-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

They're not for me at all. I can't handle caffeine very well and the high amounts of sugar on top of them send me way up and then I crash.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
They're not for me at all. I can't handle caffeine very well and the high amounts of sugar on top of them send me way up and then I crash.
Same for me... caffeine makes me feel really strange. Since I'm not too fond of wall climbing and head spinning, I won't buy energy drinks. I can usually handle the caffeine in one cup of coffee but not much more.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:13 PM

I have not tried any energy drinks yet. I have been thinking about it. But the way it sounds I really think I will stay away from them. I'll stick with a good diet to help me.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:43 AM

I don't tend to drink a lot of these only because I already drink way to much coffee as it is and don't want to add even more energy to the mix.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:14 PM

I am in the process of weaning myself from caffeine, and I haven't (knock wood) gotten one headache, which is great because I was expecting that. Now, I have two cups of two minute tea (down from three cups of four-five minute tea) in the morning and that's it for tea. My trouble is, around eleven o'clock and into the afternoon I am so sleepy it's hard to get anything done! In the morning I take all my vitamins and supplements, so I don't think I'm lacking in any of that. What I need are some suggestions as to what I can do or take to end this sleepiness...I don't even know what I'm going to do (except sleep) when I totally give up caffeine! Thanks for your help.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
I am in the process of weaning myself from caffeine, and I haven't (knock wood) gotten one headache, which is great because I was expecting that.
How great for you! It was like that for me, too, and I know I was very lucky with that. One of the immediate benefits was the reduction in both heart rate and blood pressure.

As far as what to do about the sleepies, that's a little tougher. All I ever did was fresh air and cold water. If I could get out and suck up some fresh air, I did... and if I couldn't, I drank cold water and walked around for a while.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:22 AM
Active User: Feeling Good

Default energy drinks

They seem to contain an awful lot of caffeine, so if you need the buzz, why not go for a few cups of green tea, since it also contains powerful antioxidants.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:16 AM

I agree with the choice of green tea.

I've never tried Red Bull and I don't plan to, because I don't think it would mesh well with my blood pressure meds.

Some people use it in mixed alcoholic drinks, don't they?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsey View Post
They seem to contain an awful lot of caffeine, so if you need the buzz, why not go for a few cups of green tea, since it also contains powerful antioxidants.
This sounds like a good idea to me. I try to stay away from caffeine, but if
I'm going to have some, I think I'd prefer getting some health benefits from
what I'm drinking at the same time.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater03 View Post
I don't tend to drink a lot of these only because I already drink way to much coffee as it is and don't want to add even more energy to the mix.
Like you I drink a lot of coffee. Add a energy drink, and I could be in real trouble.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:27 PM

Sorry if I am straying off the subject a bit, but I had to give up coffee five years ago due to a bowel condition. At first I really missed the caffeine but after a while I felt so much better for giving it up.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:47 PM

I don't like those energy drinks as far as the taste, THey all leave a terrible taste in my mouth later and I want water, maybe that is a good thing tho. My dad uses them for long trips and he is on BP meds, probably not a good idea.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Banned

Im a huge fan of VODKA REDBULLS, it tastes great and the sugar in the REDBULL gets in your blood and does something where you start feeling a buzz alot sooner then usual. Its a great mix!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprocks View Post
Im a huge fan of VODKA REDBULLS, it tastes great and the sugar in the REDBULL gets in your blood and does something where you start feeling a buzz alot sooner then usual. Its a great mix!!!
I'm sure there is a noticeable effect. I've never really looked at the Red Bull label, but isn't there a warning against mixing with alcohol?

Hopefully everyone who could have a bad experience with the combination will be aware of that possibility.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 PM

A person with the right bit of information would not mix them. They are not safe together since they are nearly of medicinal level. I believe they should be sold under a better control then they are being sold under, not that that is possible.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:26 PM

Thanks, Katharina, for the advice. The blood pressure benefit made itself known to me yesterday when, at the doc's office, I hit a very normal 120/80. I was amazed! It's been too high for the longest time. I love my caffeinated tea, but I also love the new bp numbers!