Old 05-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default Immune system boosting foods?

I get so tired of picking up cold and sniffles all the time, even more so at this time of year when the weather can be so changeable. Does anyone know of any immune system boosting foods? I'd prefer to eat something healthy than just pop a vitamin pill because that doesn't seem to help much anymore.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:51 AM
New User: cough cough

i think an apple a day, guava is rich in vitamin c.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Active User: Feeling Good

Yogi teas has a whole line of cold season teas. Check it out on the website. You can also sign up for free samples. [url]http://www.yogitea.com/Pages/OurTeas.html[/url]
Old 05-11-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidpok72576 View Post
i think an apple a day, guava is rich in vitamin c.
You know what, I don't think I've ever tried guava, lidpok, but I will! Is it better to take it as a whole fruit or would a carton of guava juice be ok do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy23 View Post
Yogi teas has a whole line of cold season teas. Check it out on the website. You can also sign up for free samples. [url]http://www.yogitea.com/Pages/OurTeas.html[/url]
Thanks for the link, cindy! I'm always tickled to find freebies too, so that's a bonus.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:48 PM

I am a big fan of freebies too! Its a great way to try new things.
I swear by the teas! Whenever I feel like I am coming down with something or feel blah I drink the Yogi cold teas and I feel better in one or two days. This past Christmas my sister n law filled a giant plastic jug with them for me. My husband had this strange look on his face when I opened her gift because he bought me three boxes too! I didn't care I was very very happy! I was healthy all winter! I still drink one now and then just to boost myself.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy23 View Post
I swear by the teas! Whenever I feel like I am coming down with something or feel blah I drink the Yogi cold teas and I feel better in one or two days.
Wow, I'll have to remember to give this a try. I've seen it and never bought the cold/flu variety. I *have* recently bought the Yogi licorice tea, though, and I've been enjoying that. Not sure if it's supposed to have any health benefits in particular, but it sounded good.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:04 AM

Licorice root tea is excellent for bloating! I usually drink it at night if I have had too much salt during the day or during my period. I love the power of tea! Experiment with all different kinds and flavors they are great!
Old 05-13-2008, 05:28 PM

If you can find Emergen-C, grab it! It comes in little packets that are packed in blue boxes. They come in all kinds of flavours, and they have a ton of Vit C and other vitamins and minerals. I take one packet a day, more if I feel a cold coming on. All you have to do is put the contents of the packet in water and sip it slowly. It will also give you a boost if you're feeling tired and worn down.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
If you can find Emergen-C, grab it! It comes in little packets that are packed in blue boxes. They come in all kinds of flavours, and they have a ton of Vit C and other vitamins and minerals. I take one packet a day, more if I feel a cold coming on. All you have to do is put the contents of the packet in water and sip it slowly. It will also give you a boost if you're feeling tired and worn down.
Well now doesn't that sound interesting! Where would I find that, Molly? With the cold remedies in a regular store or only in a pharmacy or health food place?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:23 PM

I've heard that garlic boosts the immune system. I think we get most of the goodness if it's crushed or cut and has about 20 minutes or so to sit before it's consumed.

I'm not sure what the reasoning behind that is. I think it may have to do with oxidization?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:39 PM

Orange juice! I heard once that chocolate helps too. I'm not sure if it's true, but hey! I get to eat chocolate! lol
Old 05-21-2008, 05:22 PM

B/c I like tea, I think I'll try the tea solutions. I also would like to give that emergen-c a try. Do you have a link for this?
Old 06-05-2008, 12:14 AM

Just be careful if you have an active immune system (i.e. allergies) or autoimmune disorder. There are immune boosters and immune supporters. If I take any kind of immune booster (echinacea, garlic) I get really sick, however, I take vitamin C daily and I've made it through the winter with no major cold or illness.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 AM

What i feel is that having fruits like Apple, Papaya and juice boost the immune system.