Old 05-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Experienced User: Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Moo View Post
I'm actually quite enjoying putting my own herbal teas together. So far I have collected and dried little jars of mint, nettle, lemon balm, lemon verbena, camomile and rose petal. I like home made lemon tea using fresh lemon, but not the stuff you buy in tea bags. I'd like to experiment with drying some lemon to see if I can make my own when I've run out of fresh, but I've not had a chance to experiment yet.
Oooh, tell me more! I'd love to do this! How do you prepare a cup of tea with your own ingredients like this? I think I heard at some point that people tie things like that into a coffee filter... is that a good way? Have you tried fennel?
Old 05-04-2008, 03:24 AM
Active User: Feeling Good

I'm currently using herbal tea twice a day. It's very effective for me because I look slim nowadays compared to my last month body figure.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinningstar View Post
I'm currently using herbal tea twice a day. It's very effective for me because I look slim nowadays compared to my last month body figure.

Shinningstar, perhaps you could explain how you are using herbal tea to lose weight? Are you using a tea which is specific to this, or are using herbal tea as a substitute for something else which was high calorie?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharina View Post
Oooh, tell me more! I'd love to do this! How do you prepare a cup of tea with your own ingredients like this? I think I heard at some point that people tie things like that into a coffee filter... is that a good way? Have you tried fennel?
I have tried fennel, but I found that the leaves work best fresh rather than dried. I keep the seeds in the kitchen for seasoning, and sometimes add one or two to a mixture, as that's nice. I like it with something else though, not on it's own.

Make herbal teas just by brewing your chosen herb in boiling water in a tea pot with an integral strainer to catch the bits. Or if you want to just make one cup, brew it in a mug then pour it into another through a tea strainer to drink.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Moo View Post
Make herbal teas just by brewing your chosen herb in boiling water in a tea pot with an integral strainer to catch the bits. Or if you want to just make one cup, brew it in a mug then pour it into another through a tea strainer to drink.
I really must start gathering up some of these ingredients. It sounds so very relaxing and I find that I need a lot of that lately. It used to be that I liked it better in the fall and winter but I have to say that it's already May and I've still been making herbal tea so maybe it's a year-round thing for me now.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:38 PM

I don't drink a lot of flavoured herbal teas but I love drinking white tea. I drink it whenever I feel like I'm getting sick and I swear it cuts down the illness by a few days. It tastes great. I also am getting accustomed to oolong. It's a different flavour than white or green tea.
Healthy News, A Today.com Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthNiche View Post
I don't drink a lot of flavoured herbal teas but I love drinking white tea. I drink it whenever I feel like I'm getting sick and I swear it cuts down the illness by a few days. It tastes great. I also am getting accustomed to oolong. It's a different flavour than white or green tea.
I've tried Oolong a time or two and unless I'm remembering the wrong brand, I think it was a little too strong for me. Do you ever add anything to your Oolong or drink it "straight?"
Old 05-07-2008, 01:28 PM

It does taste kind of woodsy. I put a half a sugar in it and drink it black.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:48 AM

Could someone please explain to me what 'white' tea is? I've heard of green tea, but not white. Is it said to have specific health benefits?
Old 05-10-2008, 11:05 AM

green-moo,
I have written about it on my health blog. Inserting the link here.
I buy the President's Choice Organics white tea. It's only about $2 a box. It tastes great. I like it better than green tea and it can kill bacteria like strep so as soon as I get feeling sick I'm drinking it.

[url]http://healthniche.blogspot.com/2007/05/wonderful-white-tea.html[/url]
Old 05-10-2008, 06:37 PM

I once had an herbal tea that tasted exactly like earwax...and when it had honey in it, it was worse. Then it tasted like sugary earwax. I'm trying to remember exactly what that was so I don't end up accidentally getting it again. Could anyone help me out? Can you identify the earwax tea?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:53 AM

I drink three cups of tea a day. I usually start out with a green tea sometimes plain or blueberry which is loaded with antioxidants. My next cup is usually a chai or black. In the evening I will do a a caffeine free such as licorice root which helps with any bloating you have from the day. Its also very sweet.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badevine View Post
I once had an herbal tea that tasted exactly like earwax...and when it had honey in it, it was worse. Then it tasted like sugary earwax. I'm trying to remember exactly what that was so I don't end up accidentally getting it again. Could anyone help me out? Can you identify the earwax tea?

Sorry, I've no idea what earwax tastes like!

Strangely, I can't stand commercially produced chamomile tea but when i pick and dry the flowers myself it's quite nice. I wonder what else they put int he commercially made version?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 PM

Natural herbs are always over looked. All the remedies and cures are in natures hand....Yes ginger helps with nausea, morning sickness, and period cramps.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:35 AM

All of the teas including black have different properties for good health, some have nearly as many antioxidents as a serving of vegatables. I am not a herbal tea fan but I have learned to mix them. Some days I put one black tea bag in a pot of hot water and a herbal bag in as well. Let it steap a while and pour a cup. Put the tea pot in the fridge with bags still in(might want to add a little more water after you pour your first cup of tea) and what a nice couple of cups of iced tea I have later. I decided to go nuts and just buy a whole bunch of flavours so some days it is a real surprise when I pour a cup. Mixing black, white or green or even indonesian tea makes the herbal seem to have more body to it instead of looking and tasting thin. There are some new flavours out now like maple and English toffee and several more with vanilla added. They are making me the tea monster I always wanted to be.
As far as brewing, for travel I have used those "MINIT" coffee filters you find hanging on the little display things on shelves in the grocery stores found in a little brownish bag. I put my loose stuff in it, a tea spoon or so, fold it over twice very neatly and put one staple on the fold. travels nicely and I am sure the staples are clean enough to get away with using one in a cup of hot water.
But the best way to brew is with an infuser or a big tea ball for your loose stuff. I found a huge tea ball in the dollar store. The more space you allow for the tea to float and brew the more flavour and health properties you will get out of it. I think it helps me loose weight too when I stay on the program.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:36 AM

BTW ginger root is good for cleaning the blood, not sure what the tea can do tho, hopefully as much.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:33 PM

Default Teas

I really like green tea, although I know it's an aquired taste for some. There are many varieties though, so maybe you'd find one you like. Hojicha is a roasted green tea that I find tastes a bit like coffee.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:41 PM
New User: cough cough

I love to mix White Tea with a Strawberry tea..or something nice and fruity!
Old 09-21-2008, 05:08 PM

I just read your blog anti-mag. looks like I might be running to the liqour store today, haha. I have to wonder how this drink is for diabetics with the sugar that is supposed to be in it.
I have just read recently that if you put green raisons in a little bit of Gin and soak them in your fridge and take about 9 or 10 raisons a day it helps for diabetic people. It is supposed to set up the bodys ability to use insulin for the day like a medicine, not sure if it is an antioxident thing or not, I sure would like to know more about that so if you see anything let us know. I have not tried it yet but my mom's cousin is and he will let us know how his sugar counts look in a few days. Not sure how much I would like a blob of alcohol soaked things in my mouth in the morning but I am almost willing to try anything.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:43 AM
New User: cough cough

my favorite herbal tea is red clover blossom, sweet and delicious! A great womens herb too.