Old 08-14-2011, 05:27 AM
New User: cough cough

Default Why

Why do we treat depression as a problem with individuals instead of an overall failure of society?

I believe simply because it is easier to blame the individual in any given situation than to try and encourage better acceptance overall. Not to mention the amount of money that is made by the drug companies and physicians etc. when the root cause is focused on the individuals.

When a child is being bullied at school it isn't their fault they are different, it is the people that don't accept it.

When there is too much stress in the work place from to much of a workload or harassment, that is the environment not the employees fault.

The movie or sports star that is used to getting their own way and suddenly have to accept no for an answer.

I can go on and on but really, isn't depression a symptom of a society that has become too demanding on some? And shouldn't we be treating the problem not the symptom?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:04 PM
New User: cough cough

Default Agree and disagree

I'm sorry but cannot agree with you on some of your points.

Nothing can bring back my cousin, my grandfather, my father, my good friend, or my dog back to life.

Nothing can turn back the hands of time, and there is no magical pill to swallow that can erase the memories of all my traumatic events in my life.

For me, I will suffer from depression for as long as I'm alive.

Society didn't fail me, nor did I fail in society.

In fact, society has helped me. I can only ever achieve 95% normalcy. Normal being me normal, not everyone in the world normal.

Events happen everyday. It's how we humans deal with these events. Not everyone deals with issues and problems identically.