Old 06-27-2011, 01:05 AM
New User: cough cough

Unhappy Electroconvulsive therapy for severe depression

Hey everyone.
I'm a 21 year old female in Ontario who has been suffering from major depressive disorder and PTSD. Symptoms started around 10 years old from an extremely traumatic event and continuous abuse by my sole parent. After going through my teens, I've found that becoming an adult has made my depression intensely worse. I've gone through several psychotherapists and psychiatrists and have been on various medications since I was 14, but I haven't found any relief. I was hospitalized late last year for a month, and met a few people there who were also severely depressed and were being treated with ECT (electroshock therapy). I know it has a stigma attached because of it's inhumane and almost torturous use in the past by doctors, but I've read a lot about it and am considering it as a last resort. If anyone knows anything about this treatment or has been treated with it themselves, I'd really appreciate any input or advice.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 PM

Default I am about to have my first ect treatment

Hi I have been suffering since I was 17 with depression. In fact I can only remember 1 2yr period that I actually felt happy & health since I was 17. I am now about 44yrs old, and tomorrow I begin ECT treatments. I would like to share the information with you if you wish so that you can be better prepared if you do decide to go ahead with treatment. My meds just are not working for me anymore. The doctors are afraid & I am afraid that another change in meds will not be effective. I have been on medication most of my life & by no means would I ever call it a cure. I have been surviving but not thriving. They have kept me out of the casket but not really looking at life the way people who do not suffer from depression do. I feel I see the world the way it is! Full of pain, hate, sadness, and evil. I do have happy times but they are extremely short lived & I am always waiting for the next disaster so to speak. I have never been able to understand the guy who has just become a quadriplegic and says "at least I’m still alive"? I would be like I can't believe I'm not dead what will it actually take to kill me, I'm ready (type of person). I have a horrible sense of self loathing, and blame myself for absolutely everything including my inability to fight this disease. I am a bit worried about the memory loss but to tell you the truth not as worried as the thought of having to live with depression any longer. I would love to correspond with you if you like during these next few months to see if my experience might be of benefit to you? Let me know. All my best!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 PM

Default Ect

I am a 61 year old woman. I have struggled with depression and anxiety disorder for 40 years. I have been medicated for 20 years. Medications no longer work for me. I am being assessed for ECT on Aug 6. Please share your experiences with me. I am very anxious about this treatment.