Old 02-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default How Long Have You / Did You Smoke?

Whether you have quit or are still smoking, how many years have you been smoking? If you've quit, how long did you smoke?
Old 04-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Active User: Feeling Good

I smoked for about 30 years so it was a really difficult habit to break 8 years ago. I'm really glad I did though because my breathing had started to be a problem....shortness of breath sometimes. In the past 8 years that has gradually diminished and my breathing is fine.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:36 PM
New User: cough cough

I never smoked but I had relatives who did it for decades. Then, all of a sudden, virtually all my relatives gave up the habit.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:19 PM

I smoked from seventeen until I was thirty nine years old. It took me a couple of attempts before I managed to give it up, but I have and just celebrated my three year anniversary of stopping. I don't think I'd ever be tempted to go back to it, that's for sure.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:45 PM

I never smoked. But my husband do from the time he was just 16 years old. And i want he should leave it forever. But i ma not finding a better solution for this.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
I smoked for about 30 years so it was a really difficult habit to break 8 years ago. I'm really glad I did though because my breathing had started to be a problem....shortness of breath sometimes. In the past 8 years that has gradually diminished and my breathing is fine.
Good news, ozzie! It's been 4 years for me and I'm so glad that it's behind me once and for all. There's not that feeling of dread and doom over me constantly wondering if I'm giving myself a death sentence now. I'm sure you know the feeling.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:35 AM

I smoked from 16 to 31. I've been smoke free for 5 years. Quitting was one of the hardest things I've EVER done!
Healthy News, A Today.com Blog
Old 09-02-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthNiche View Post
I smoked from 16 to 31. I've been smoke free for 5 years. Quitting was one of the hardest things I've EVER done!
Great work, HealthNiche! It's a good feeling for me when I can see that every month and year that goes by, it goes further and further back in my memory and that's a very good thing.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:12 PM

I smoked ciggies from age 15 to 30. I didn't smoke for the longest time but then I started working graveyard shift at an ER, and everyone smoked there, believe it or not, so I started again and smoked for about two years after that. That's about fifteen years I've been tobacco free.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
I smoked ciggies from age 15 to 30. I didn't smoke for the longest time but then I started working graveyard shift at an ER, and everyone smoked there, believe it or not, so I started again and smoked for about two years after that. That's about fifteen years I've been tobacco free.
15 years is great! I've been in those places where everyone else smoked and that is so difficult for someone to be smoke-free in an environment like that. I guess it feels like if you're going to be getting the toxins in the second-hand every day anyhow, why bother quitting?
Old 02-18-2009, 01:27 PM

Hi there! I am new to the board. My name is Sandy and I was a smoker for 10 years and successfully quit 8 years ago! I hope that everyone else has the same success!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:59 PM

I've been smoking for about 10 years and I currently have no intention of quitting. But congrats to those who have. I understand it to be a difficult process for some so good job.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy B. View Post
Hi there! I am new to the board. My name is Sandy and I was a smoker for 10 years and successfully quit 8 years ago! I hope that everyone else has the same success!
Great, Sandy... It's 4.5 for me. It often takes a very real health scare for someone to reach the point of being successful. Has to hit home before some will take action... but I'm so glad I stopped when I did... just wish it had been years earlier.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:08 AM

I am 47 and have been smoking on and off since I was a teenager. I read alan carrs easy way to stop smoking and have now been 5 weeks free of cigs. Wow and do I feel better.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharina View Post
Whether you have quit or are still smoking, how many years have you been smoking? If you've quit, how long did you smoke?
Hi,
I smoked for 24 + years and I am on day 2 with no cigarettes!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:21 AM

Default Still not smoking

HI
Just thought I would update you on my progress for healthy living. I have now been smoke free for 3 months and although I put on a few pounds, I have joined a health club and have lost 7lb To be non smoking and fit is a miracle after all these years of being a smoker. yipee it feels great... All you ex smokers, keep up the good work, but remember, it only took one cig to start smoking in the first place...
Old 01-10-2011, 02:58 PM

Cool

I started smoking when i was 15 years old , now im 32 and i quite smoking three days ago and im not going back. Im on the patch right now and its working realy well for me .
Old 04-14-2011, 02:08 PM

Default Smoking Addiction

I am smoking since 10 years, I had started smoking at the age of 15 but now i'm facing problems in breathing and getting regular cough. Now I'm willing not to smoke can anyone suggest what should I do?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:54 AM

Ive been smoking for 24 yrs and i quit for 11 years since.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:44 AM

I am not a regular smoker therefore i use to smoke only when i go out with my friends.