Old 12-03-2008, 08:01 PM
New User: cough cough

Default HIV and DRINKING FLUIDS??

Hi, I had an instance that had bothered me that has occured 3 years ago. Since then I was not sexually active. I decided to get a recent HIV test at a local clinic to make sure I was fine since that time. My test came back negative. However the day that I took it I had a little cold, so the day before I drank lots and lots of hot tea with lemon, maybe 7-8 cups. So I was wondering if fluid intake of this much intereferes with antibody levels, by dilluting them in your blood? Hence, creating a negative result?

I asked the doctor and she told me it doesn't, and since the instance happend so long it would show 100%, however I am still worried.

Can someone experiened in this category please clarify for me?? So I stop worrying..
Old 12-03-2008, 08:09 PM

Basically since HIV test searches for HIV antibodies in your blood, that is why I am worried how fluid intake affects the number of those antibodies..
Old 12-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

Antibodies are evaluated based on their presence and not their concentration. If you had any antibodies, your test would have been positive.

I hope that helps!
Old 12-06-2008, 02:54 AM
Active User: Feeling Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz122 View Post
Hi, I had an instance that had bothered me that has occured 3 years ago. Since then I was not sexually active. I decided to get a recent HIV test at a local clinic to make sure I was fine since that time. My test came back negative. However the day that I took it I had a little cold, so the day before I drank lots and lots of hot tea with lemon, maybe 7-8 cups. So I was wondering if fluid intake of this much intereferes with antibody levels, by dilluting them in your blood? Hence, creating a negative result?

I asked the doctor and she told me it doesn't, and since the instance happend so long it would show 100%, however I am still worried.

Can someone experiened in this category please clarify for me?? So I stop worrying..
Your doctor would be the one most experienced, and he told you correctly. The antibodies are carried in your blood serum will not be diluted in fluid, your test wouldn't be affected by it.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Experienced User: Healthy

Your test was negative, it showed no antibodies and as your doctor says you can rely on the accuracy of that whatever you ate or drank in the days before your test. Stop worrying, but be sure that you keep yourself safe in the future.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:34 AM

Default Drinking Fluids??

No, Drinking fluids does not interfere with an HIV blood test. Decide with your doctor if you need to have another HIV test in about 3 to 6 months to confirm your first HIV negative test result. This is sometimes done if the first test is felt to be close or quite close to the exposure.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:50 PM

your worrying to much besides your doctor told you that your okay and your not positive. stop thinking about it, because that's what make you sick. go out and have fun live a life free from conscious thought problems that you acquiring aids, your not!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:30 PM

Default Your fine

First of all, if drinking lots of tea and lemon might mask the presence of HIV in your blood, then something like that would by now be common knowledge and it would be advised to never take that before doing a test(and there is no such advisory that exists). Second of all, you asked the doctor and the doctor told you that you have nothing to worry about! So how much times do you need to ask an expert before you are satisfied?? The test came back negative and you havn't had sex in two years.. I think you can safely say that you are free and clear of the HIV infection, so stop worrying. Seriousely though.. if, after all these people replying to you and attempting to put you at ease is not enough, and you are still going around asking people if you should be worried... then I would consider you to be a bit of a fool. Or you may suffer from hypochondria and you should be more worried about that. Anyway, you dont have HIV or AIDS, so go away.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 AM

well, the replies said it all, would just want to reaffirm. no, you're not positive if that is the case. take caution next time before going to bed with someone if you choose too. keep safe!