Old 03-14-2011, 10:23 PM
New User: cough cough

Default Blood Testing Before Surgery

Hi, I have a very pressing question that I would like to have answered. I had unprotected sex with someone that I know was sexually active about two years ago. I still know that person through internet connection, as I am in another provinced now. Well alittle under a year ago, that same person's lung collapsed and they had to go into the hospital for surgery. My question is; What sort of blood work would have been done on that person by the doctor before the surgery? Would the doctor always check for HIV before surgery, or only when they feel there is a necessary risk of HIV in that individual person? I am going in for an HIV test next week which is a mandatory thing at my work, I cannot sleep right now with all this worrying and it is having a huge effect on my days. Please answer my question as soon as you can so I can atleast have something to sooth my mind, since more info is better than none at all. Here is some additional information concerning this. I havn't had a blood test since having that unprotected sex. We actually had sex twice, the first time was without protection but the second time was with protection. I havn't had sex with anyone else since then until very recently.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Yeah, I'd just like to thank everyone for replyinf to my question in such a timely manner. Thanks for being sure to provide me with some information as I DID mention I was losing sleep as a result of this... so thanks for being so compassionate everyone... incase it isn't already painfully obvious, i'm being sarcastic.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 AM

they wont check his blood for HIV prior to surgery. they need the patient's consent before taking the test. positive or not, the doctors will still do the surgery on him, it's part of their job. so if the scenario is he was admitted to the hospital via ambulance cause he was having an attack and they went straight to surgery, then no, they won't take a test. however if he was admitted prior to the surgery, the doctors wouldve talk him into taking the test as they are making a diagnosis.