Old 12-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

Arrow Since this is Hepatitis forum Let us discuss HCV

HCV is Hepatitis C Virus. HPV discussions should be in a separate forum category.

I have had HepC for close to 40 years the doctors suggest by the condition of my liver. Did not know about it until about 6 years ago. By this time liver is into cirrhosis and badly damaged. Now I understand all the digestive upsets over the years and why my considerable (former) energy levels would suddenly take a dive. Last year I was in hospital with stage 4 liver disease. Body collected 52 pounds of water around my torso and legs within a few weeks. This called ascites and I was dying. I have not had alcohol since 1980 and that was only on weekends. Thank goodness or would be dead long before this time. Cirrhosis of the liver is caused by severe longterm inflammation of the HepC virus. Also there is alcholic induced cirrhosis of liver though this is not a factor here. Had i not lived such a healthy lifestyle it would have been detected much sooner I suppose. Did you know that cirrhosis means "scarred" and that any organ of the body can become cirrhotic? There is no need to be ashamed of such conditions ever.
I was offered a liver transplant, in hospital, last nov.2009. I refused for I feel (for me personally) when a major organ goes it is time for me to go as well. I left hospital and obviously am still alive. Within 3 weeks body returned to normal as diuretic drained off the accumulated water. Also had 7.8 litres of water removed in hospital before leaving.
I had diabetes II (mellitus) 5 years ago and was insulin dependent. I switched to alkaline eating diet and condition went away. Over a year ago I started eating taboo foods again, ended up in hospital, and now have diabetes again. Warning: stay away from coffee, junk food, sugar as these are all toxic. Those with HepC are 3-4 times at risk for diabetes II than a person without the virus so diet and care of liver and pancreas is ultimately important.
Apple cider vinegar is beneficial unless you have active liver disease such as hepatitis or cirrohsis then it can be harmful so best to have lemon or lime when these conditions are present.
Having a glass or 2 of warm water with fresh lemon before eating anything in morn helps liver to jump start healthily. Also activates body's natural detoxing each morning. Actually is best to have only raw fruit in morning to increase detox capability of body.
I am beyond drug therapy as liver cannot handle the toxic drugs...i would die.

I find, now that am back on proper nutrition, that am already feeling better after a few days. It has been over a year since the ascites but has taken me this long to return to proper nutrition as I starved for 3 months during the ascites and I think this took a psychological toll on me as well. There was so much water collected that i had trouble breathing and could not eat for stomach was flattened by the water in me and couldn't hold food in it. Consequences of this is continuing water accumulation so I must take diuretics though i loathe to take drugs and soaring blood pressure levels. These are the 2 major conditions I am left with on top of the HepC symptoms.

Liver not throbbing today, blood sugar levels dropping and energy levels on the increase though still hard to tell yet. Ha! Ha! a bit of a funny for energy still so low I cannot tell if is rising.

Does anyone else out there with later stages of HCV treat themselves naturally without drugs? And how are you faring? Would love to hear your story. I am 60 years of age, 5 feet 4 inches and about 123 pounds. Just so you know that obesity is not a factor. Docs think i picked up virus in the 1970s whilst nursing in hospital. we did not use gloves or masks in those days. Virus not isolated until mid 1980s? so no one thought to look for it as I am not in predicted lifestyle for infection of HCV. No blood transfusions either. Let's hear your story and ways of coping with this tragic disease.

Last edited by Emmana; 12-23-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: errors and additions