Old 02-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

Default Should i get the HPV Shot or Vaccination?

I've been seeing tons of commercials on the HPV virus.

There are over 100 different HPV types and this vaccine only targets four of them.

It seems more like a advertising campaign by the drug maker.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

I don't have a daughter so I haven't researched it all that much. My niece did get it and from my understanding it is three shots and the are somewhat painful.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:23 PM

If the HPV vaccine had come out when my daughter was a teenager, I would have gotten her to the doctor's office so fast you couldn't see us for smoke! As the science regarding this vaccine gains more knowledge, it will affect more of the viruses. I would want all my girls protected from whatever virus there was!
As the giver (and receiver) of about a million injections, shots are about as painful as the receiver makes them. Relax and breathe deeply. Then your muscles will not be as tight. If the shot goes in the hip, bend slightly and take your weight off the side the shot is going into. Same for the arm. There is, admittedly, a bit of expertise in placing and injection, so if the person about to inject you has hurt you in the past, ask for another nurse or for the doctor to do it. But, as I stated earlier, your amount of fear and muscle tension will guarantee that's it's gonna hurt!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:26 AM

I have not had the HPV vaccine, and I don't have any children to have vaccinated with it. I would recommend it, from what I know about it so far, just because I want to be protected from any virus possible.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by live View Post

There are over 100 different HPV types and this vaccine only targets four of them.

Any vaccination is better, and safer, than having the condition it fights. If you are a good candidate for it, get it.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageMother View Post
If you are a good candidate for it, get it.
I think this is the key thing. If you are a good candidate for it. Your doctor will be able to advise you.

If you are a good candidate, weigh up some short term discomfort from the injections against catching the condition and you'll probably agree that the vaccination is a good idea.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:44 PM

I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't get the shot because it is painful. That being said I have sons so I don't have to make that choose but if I had a daughter I would probably get it for her.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:08 PM

That is a good point - if you are a good candidate. It's not for everybody of course, it's something that you need to consult your doctor over and be sure it's a safe choice for you.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:16 PM

Arrow HPV is Human PapillmaVirus not Hepatitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by live View Post

This is a HEPATITIS FORUM. The human papillomavirus (HPV) is not a liver disease.