Old 04-30-2009, 10:02 AM
New User: cough cough

Default high glucose ac in Alzheimers patient

Hello All,

My Mom who has Alzheimers (mid/late stage) has a high glucose AC sugar. The resident nurse says that this is normal in someone who eats so much sugar and I need not worry.

This doesn't seem right to me...she has other symptoms and I am trying to make her as comfortable as possible.
Any thoughts/
Old 06-14-2009, 07:53 AM
New User: cough cough

Default My experience with Mom's high glucose

My mom is a diabetic. Four years ago my sister was managing her health care and had a diagnosis of Alzheimer's made. At that time Mom's blood sugar was also running in the upper 200 range to 400 range consistently. Over the past year that I have cared for Mom, I worked hard to get her diabetes under control and now have her on daily insulin shots. Her cognitive abilitie are significantly better. When her blood sugar goes up, then her cognitive skills are worse. She has anger outbursts and other symptoms. The other thing that happens with high blood sugar (or can anyway) is a urinary tract infection which also causes significant impact on cognitive skills. Find someone or somewhere to get the blood glucose under control, including trying to get her on insulin if you need to. She might have diabetes. There is also some research done by John Hopkins that believes Alzheimer's should be categorized as another type of diabetes. Oh I would also note we also have Mom walking twice a day and other physical activity. Prior to managing her diabetes she was even declining rapidly in her ability to walk and talk. Those skills are back. I believe that Mom does not have Alzheimer's but instead was having chronic high blood sugar.