Old 09-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default Raisons and Gin

My latest find. Seems Gin and green raisons is the new medicine for diabetics. You are supposed to soak the raisons in gin over night in your fridge and eat about 9 or 10 of the soaked raisons in the morning and it is supposed to set up your body for insulin use for the day. Not sure if this works or not but my Mom's cousin is trying it now and he will let me know how it does. I want him to do it every day for a while because like some medicines, it might take a while for the funky raisons to kick in and do the trick. If anyone here tries it let us know what it does for you. I have no Gin in my house so I have to wait till I go out to get some.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:36 PM

Diabetics should not be drinking gin under any circumstances. Gin metabolises as glucose (sugar), and sugar is the last thing a diabetic needs.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:45 PM

Might want to check that out first. Many diabetics find their sugars go down with alcohol but if they don't eat it could result in a sugar low and my uncle went into a fit and then a coma because of this very reason. The doctor told him when he came to a few days later, had he ate he would not have had this happen and never to take alcohol near his metformin doseing times. He still drinks 2 or 3 every day at his favourite club but he makes sure he eats and his numbers are better then mine, I don't drink at all.
Parents of diabetic 1 teens are told to tell their teens that if they end up drinking at a party they should eat first to prevent a sugar low and now studies are showing that one or two drinks a day could be good for a diabetic but it is suggested no more then that.
Yes it is a sugar but a different type and there is something in it that in moderation might be helping some people, it might depend a lot on the medicine people are taking too but this raisons and gin thing came from a diabetics book, not me.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

An interesting, and better documented study suggests that cinnamon can help with diabetes, but I don't remember how much cinnamon a day it takes. I expect you'd have to buy it in concentrated form
Old 09-27-2008, 12:45 AM

,,,Mustard too. Seems there are lots of foods that help, but some like you suggested Lyndsey,,, in specific doses probably, and it would be nice to get a list started here so that we can try some of them and let others know if some of them are helping. There is so much being found out. BTW I am now on the Gin thing and watching my numbers. I will let you know when I find out anything. Just started today. I will say that if it is a good thing it is easy to do, I don't drink boose but the raisins are ok, the alcohol flavour is very light if any which being Gin I expected worse, especially for a morning thing. I also have a great cold remedy that uses the time and brew method, (no boose) and it works. If anyone is interested I can list it here or in a forum for colds and flu.
Also, I have used cinnamon for a few years now on my oats every day and not sure it has made my numbers look better but I still do it anyway.