Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2011, 11:48 AM
New User: cough cough

Default Just diagnosed with diabetes in december. Seasoned diabetics opinion wanted

Hi all, I'm new to diabetes and was looking for an alternate opinion on my case. I'm a 30 year old male who was just diagnosed in december. I was originally put on metiformin (one half before breakfast and one half before dinner)my original reading from the start was high 19.7, but then it went down to 14.0 with fasting and this was before medication. On december 30th i was rushed to the hospital with a reading of 32 but felt fine, wasn't sick, throwing up, or anything(i didn't have a glucometer so i had no idea, my doctor called my family and told them to get me to a hospital right away). When i got to the hospital my number shot right down to 18.2 so i was no longer deemed a medical emergency(that one half of metiformin saved me and needed no insulin). After that episode my dosage was raised to 4 metiformin(2 before breakfast, 2 before dinner) and then i was put on gluconorm(1 before breakfast, lunch and dinner) and my numbers started to decrease. I got in to see an endocrinologist in thornhill, did all the testing. The doctor then increased my dosage of gluconorm to the maxium dosage( 2 before breakfast, lunch and dinner 6 pills in total). My numbers were dropping to between 4 and 7 which is where they are supposed to be, but with the gluconorm i was having major anxiety attacks and personality changes and trouble sleeping at night(most likely due to being on TOO much gluconorm) and i was put on Lantus at night. I got all the testing back and the doctor informed me that i was on the "cusp" between type 1 and type 2 and that my pancreas was producing "some" insulin so she labeled me a type 1 but i had no keytones. I've been living with this for about 4 months now and i'm on insulin injections 4 times a day(taking apidra 3 times a day and doing the juggling act, lantus before bed)I know lantus is to prevent someone from crashing overnight. My number ranges between 7 and 10 all day and I've changed my diet considerably, get a half hour of exercise every day and i'm following doctors orders to a tee for example my reading yesterday was 6.6 before bed time and then it raised over night to 7.7 without any reason. My family has a history of type 2 diabetics and i'm the only type 1 but i'm beginning to have my doubts on the diagnoses. I am going to get a second opinion on this just to be sure. I should also note that from october(2010) to october i was very sick (a cold that would not go away so my body was probably working over time). I have a friend whose a type 1 diabetic and i've been comparing notes with him and we don't sound the same. I was also wondering about being on lantus. Could my number that was 6.6 before bedtime and since it rose up to 7.7 mean that i still have enough insulin in my body to counteract that dosage of insulin? Should i get the pancreas test done again since i do feel alot better it might show different results than originally giving at the beginning of this? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated? Are there any doctors on here that would like to share their opinions? I'm getting a little frustrated and angry that things aren't moving quick enough on the insulin injections as they were on pills. Does it take along time for it to get figured out cause i feel like life is passing me by as i deal with this. thanks so much for your time.

Last edited by joel; 04-02-2011 at 07:26 PM.