Old 03-10-2010, 08:05 PM
New User: cough cough

Unhappy I am frustrated and want to vent out

Okay I may be upset and in the state of denial but recently they told me I am diabetic!!!!. They measure my fasting blood sugar as 7.5 and my A1C as 6.2 and that was the reason and put me on medications!!!.

Some years ago a fasting reading of 7.9 was okay and later they brought it done to 7.0 and like that was not tough enough, then they said, well wait a minute, anything above reading of 6.0 is pre-diabetes. So, we have to bring down our reading to under 6.0 and even that was not enough and they said any reading about 5.4 is no good and then they said, no wait a minute, what we measure at home is only blood glucose level and it is our plasma glucose level (usually 15% higher than what we measure at home) which has to be at 5.5 or under. In other words we need to have a home fasting measurement of below 4.8 at home in order to be eligible for being healthy and non diabetics or non pre-diabetic.

Though these targets may be fine and easy to achieve for 12 year olds but I am now in my mid 40’s and I should not be expected to have reading like 12 year olds. What is the point of setting unrealistic unachievable targets but only for me to give up and say well the hell with it. Que sera sera…..

Putting me on medication may pay off in the short term but not so sure about the long term. As far as I know medication would push my remaining living beta cells to produce more insulin and likely make them work harder and causing more deaths among these Beta cells.

On another important note, as a question what blood sugar is actually damaging the organs. My understanding is that a sustained blood glucose level of 14.9 or higher will be damaging so why the disgnosis is for a fasting blood sugar of 7.0 which if above statement is true is not damaging??

Last edited by Admirer; 03-10-2010 at 08:10 PM.