Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 AM
New User: cough cough

Red face Newly diagnosed with Diabetes and Hypertension, Neuropathy HELP!!

Good day everyone,

I'm newly diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. On july 16 2 weeks before my sons 7th birthday I had a stroke losing motor function on the left side of my body. the doctors informed me that I was diabetic and had hypertension that most likely led to my stroke. Now because of many things seen in the catscan I was tested for many things as well as MS. thank goodness it was negative, I doubt I could have handled that as well as everything else coming at me all at once.
So I was in the middle of a weight loss regiment when I had my stroke and my starting weight was over 290 lbs. Of course I went through the normal why did this happen to me?, I had no symptoms of diabetes!! blah blah blah.
I finally grabbed hold of reality and decided to deal with it.

I restarted ny fitness endeavor to lose weight and get back the use of my leg and arm. a very slow and painful process.
Currently I'm sitting at 240 lbs, I'm probably healthier than I have ever been.
I keep my sugar at 5-6 MAX mostly staying at 4.6 I'm on medication that makes me feel crappy most of the time, Ramapril for hypertension, Gliclizide and Metphormin for diabetes. It is my goal to get off of all meds.

New issues im having is Neuropathy and Retinopathy .Issues with my hands and feet, its horribly painful. and im not sure how im supposed to deal with this now. I thought that if I controlled my diabetes, I shouldnt get any more things popping up.
I would love to hear some of your best practices, experiences, and recommendations.

Goose