Thread: Asthma
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 AM
New User: cough cough

Exclamation Greetings.

Hiya folks,

New to the forum, but unfortunately not new to asthma. I've had asthma since I was a kid (like around 7 or 8 I think...maybe even younger). I'm now 34 1/2 (not ready to be 35 yet )

Anyways, I am sick and tired of getting sick from asthma. I mean, downright sick of it. Every year (like clock work) I get sick for like a couple of months. It usually starts off as the "flu" or as a cold I tend to pick up around this time of year (fall) and I stay sick well into February or so.

My family practitioner has referred me to the local hospital earlier this year, as they have an asthma clinic. What a waste that was. They didn't provide any helpful services. Just those annoying tests where you breathe in the tube until you feel faint. And to top it off, the hospital doctor (whom he had referred me to) gave me meds (Salbutamol & Cingulair) which he never prescribed to me himself in the past. He referred me to them, so one would think they are some what proficient in their given field. At least, that's what I thought.

None of the meds given to me at the asthma clinic worked. Not only that, but when I met up with my family practitioner just two days ago, I needed refills on the meds they gave me at the asthma clinic, so I asked him. His response? "Why are you taking this? It's a waste." He chuckled and said "That's why I never prescribed it to you". He then upped my Advair dosage from 250 to 500 and complimented that with Prednisone.

So asides from departing his office with the knowledge of having wasted my time, money and futile efforts in trying to heal myself at that asthma clinic, I also learned that my family practitioner is about the only one I should trust (even though he is the one who referred me to those other doctors in the first place).

My family doctor is kind of rough around the edges, but whenever he prescribes me meds they usually work. He only referred me to them this last time because nothing was working. I just wasn't getting any better.

And now I find myself in the same predicament, and quite frankly I'm getting sick and tired of this never-ending ferris wheel of a ride, called "asthma". Hence, my presence on this website.
I haven't slept all night because I've been hacking my lungs up with all the coughing I've been doing. I'm so tired, and I just want to connect with some people in Canada, who might be able to help me out.

P.S. >> Sorry about this long rant. Like I said, I haven't slept all night and I really need some help on this. Kinda cranky right now. But it is a pleasure to meet you all. Hoping I can kick this thing.

Last edited by YMS_1975; 11-05-2009 at 08:52 AM.