View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 PM
New User: cough cough

Default Recently Diagnosed

Just found this site while looking for somewhere to talk to people who may have or are going through treatment for lung cancer. I am finding the waiting game very frustrating... although Im not sure the treatment is a picnic either from what I hear. I am presently waiting for a pet scan before my treatment begins. Not sure if a pet CT scan means a good thing or not. I have had CT scans, bone scans, head scans, pulmonary function tests and well waiting for this other scan before my Dr. will prescribe the treatment I need. They told me it would be very aggressive if it is localized but if it is spread they will have another plan. (I have 2 other spots on my lungs that were not identified as cancer with other scans) I have non small cell lung cancer that is presently at stage 3 (as long as those spots are not cancer) the tumour is around the bronchi so is inoperable.

I am a 47 year old mom... with 3 children. 2 of my children are younger than 18 and living at home. I also have 1 grandchild as well as one on the way. Scared I suppose. I just wonder if many survive inoperable lung cancer and for how long? I know the survival rate is 15 - 20 % but how many years do you get after diagnosis? Anyone still living that has simular story?