View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 04:11 AM
Experienced User: Healthy

Yes definately it is in many ways, it goes way back in my family and no female is getting away without it. Type 2 has lots to do with how a person ate and lived during a long period of time but if your make up is to be suseptable to it in the family lines, you are that much more likely to get it.

Also it has been said that as far as women, those with a heavier waist or a waist that is as big or bigger then the hips are more apt to get it over those with bigger hips and the smaller waist and those traits go along in a family line as well. My family has always had the smaller hips and butt and less of a shapely waist.

I know several women who are much bigger then I am and weigh up to a hundred pounds more then I do and they have a smaller waist then their other perportions and larger hips and they are not diabetic. I started looking at this when I heard about it in medical studies and sure enough I am only about 30 pounds more then I should be, I hold it well so it does not look so bad but I am diabetic and a coworker I used to work with who is nearly 100 pounds larger then she should be has been tested and came out with normal blood sugar numbers,,, go figure.

This lady has huge hips and legs and her waist is quite small so her only problem is she finds it hard to find pants to wear that have the right shape for her build and she says this has been the shape her mother, grandmother and great grandmother had and none in her family lines were diabetic.

It is only one of the signs that can help medical and other people be aware. Also it is said that native and blacks are more at risk then others so for sure there is hereditary possibilities.

My family has indian backgrounds so this could be part of why I have it. I also worked midnight shift for over 15 years and lived a rushed life in many ways so that could be a big factor in my disease. Seems the women in my family are hit with it and the men are not so I believe there is much more to learn before we say it is not hereditary in any way. BTW we have no type 1s in my family, we are all type 2s