View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
My kids' teachers tried loading them down with homework to the point where they had had enough time to eat, do homework and go to bed. Kids, especially teens, need some time to relax, have a little time to put their feet up, have a laugh, chat, and decompress. I called my kids' teachers and told them if they were so deficient in their teaching skills that my kids had to spend the rest of the night trying to finish the job, I'd really have to discuss it with the principal. I told them an hour a night of homework was reasonable and that's what I expected. Guess what? My kids were given one hour's worth of homework a night, and they still managed to retain the highest marks.
Good for you, molly! It makes my heart glad to see parents that still care are out there.

I think partly the reason why kids are depressed these days are there's less decent parenting going on. So many seem to get left to their own devices by so called "cool" parents. They become directionless with the lack of guidance. There's a fine line between letting your kids be free spirits and not caring about them or what's going on in their lives. Let them grow, yes, but set them boundaries too so they turn into responsible, caring people.

Take a look at MySpace sometime and see how many teens talk openly about cutting themselves as if it's ok. I worry what will become of them.