Old 06-28-2008, 12:45 AM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default Did you have a C-section? There's too many happening

A report out today shows that one in four births are a C-section. According to the [URL="http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=616113"]National Post, [/URL] this is too high and increased not because of medical emergencies but because of elective C-sections. The Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada report's raised concerns and quite rightly so about something that was initially meant to done only when a natural birth was impossible or an emergency warranted it, not to try avoid lawsuits.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:15 PM

No I had two kids and had them both natural. Of course that was about thirty some years ago. Things are so different now. I think sometimes it is much less stress on the baby when you have a C- section. Maybe that is why they do it more often.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:22 AM

Although there may be less stress, I don't believe that a c-section is better for the baby. A baby was designed to be birthed.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:31 PM

I did have one myself, but it was an emergency one and certainly not something I'd have scheduled in like a hairdressing appointment! I was quite disappointed actually because I wanted to deliver naturally but my body had other ideas. My sister also had one, and for her it was because the baby was too big for her tiny hips to allow a normal delivery.

Wish I had tiny hips LOL.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

It's crazy how many people simply choose to have one and for not medical reasons at all. I have a friend who scheduled a c-section so it didn't conflict with her work schedule. :S
Old 07-21-2008, 03:22 PM

As Riskey says, I had my babies about thirty years ago. With my son, my cervix wouldn't dilate past 3 or 4, and he was a chin presentation, so I had to have a c-section. In those days if you had one c-section, you had to have them all that way. It's foolish to take major surgery so lightly, but as said, the OBs are afraid of being sued now. I do believe that they are the specialty that is sued the most.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
A report out today shows that one in four births are a C-section. According to the [URL="http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=616113"]National Post, [/URL] this is too high and increased not because of medical emergencies but because of elective C-sections.
I agree that there are *way* too many C-sections being done. One in four??? Wasn't like that in the past and I don't agree with choosing that if it's not a necessary situation.

My daughter was born via natural birth and I'm very glad for that.