Old 03-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default Vitamins for children

I was suprised to see that my local health clinic is offering vitamin drops for very young babies and children. I personally think that they are unecessary if the child eats a healthy diet. What do you think?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Moo View Post
I was suprised to see that my local health clinic is offering vitamin drops for very young babies and children. I personally think that they are unecessary if the child eats a healthy diet. What do you think?
Vitamin drops are meant to augment the diets of healthy babies, adding nutrients that are more effective at higher levels, and preventing some problems that can develop regardless of the baby's basic good health.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:46 AM

Speaking of vitamins for young children, what age range of kids are Flintstones vitamins intended for?

I assume they're for the children around Kindergarten age?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:03 PM

I know that I give my boys a vitamin. They are terrible about getting everything that they need through their food. I do try on a daily basis to get their vitamins through food but they are such picky eaters.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
Speaking of vitamins for young children, what age range of kids are Flintstones vitamins intended for?
I assume they're for the children around Kindergarten age?
Hmmm... well, I think Flintstones are for ages 4 and up, *but* there's also
"My First Flintstones" for kids that are 2 and 3.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:37 PM

Default Vitamins for children

I think vitamins are good for children. Even though they eat good they might not be getting enough of one thing or another, so vitamins will help this. I would ask your doctor and see what they have to say.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskey58 View Post
I think vitamins are good for children. Even though they eat good they might not be getting enough of one thing or another, so vitamins will help this. I would ask your doctor and see what they have to say.
I'm always surprised when I see the food pyramid and the servings of fruit and veggies we're supposed to be having per day. I don't know how anyone could get kids (or adults! ) to eat that much of it every single day. Vitamins help to supplement what might be missing.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 PM

I know I have such trouble meeting the food pyramid suggestions and actually get no where near meeting the recommended daily intake.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:14 AM
Active User: Feeling Good

Yeah we should always try to keep kids with their vitamins, I always went with the flinestones. You can never fail with those.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
Yeah we should always try to keep kids with their vitamins, I always went with the flinestones. You can never fail with those.
I don't know if they still do, but years ago, there were even adult directions
on the Flintstones. I think that's great because there are more than a few
people who are not able to swallow pills, especially the huge horse-pills
that some vitamins are.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater03 View Post
I know I have such trouble meeting the food pyramid suggestions and actually get no where near meeting the recommended daily intake.
One fruit and one veggie I could handle a day... but 5 or 6 times that? No
way! Orange juice and I usually try to serve a veggie with dinner. But I
don't know how anyone can get so many servings per day... it's just
overeating to me.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:37 PM

I love that the Flintstones vits have directions for adults! I'm certain that that is the only way to get vitamins with my son, I'll have to ask.
Certainly I would want to make sure the kids have extra vitamin C, B vits, calcium, I could name alot of supplements, but it's true that the normal kid doesn't get as many fruits and veggies as suggested.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
I love that the Flintstones vits have directions for adults! I'm certain that that is the only way to get vitamins with my son, I'll have to ask.
Yes, I was always impressed with that, too... and not only that, but Centrum now has chewable, too. It's really great for people who have trouble swallowing those larger pills for whatever reason.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharina View Post
One fruit and one veggie I could handle a day... but 5 or 6 times that? No
way! Orange juice and I usually try to serve a veggie with dinner. But I
don't know how anyone can get so many servings per day... it's just
overeating to me.

It's not overeating if you replace something that you would normally eat with a piece of fruit of some veg. So snack on fruit for instance, or include a piece with your breakfast.

There are days when we don't make the recommended amounts, but generally my family exceed it.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 AM

We usually eat at least the recommended amount of fruit and veg per day without much effort. I haven't routinely given my children vitamins because I thought their diet was OK, but when I was breast feeding the doctor was keen that I should give the baby vitamin drops.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
It's not overeating if you replace something that you would normally eat with a piece of fruit of some veg. So snack on fruit for instance, or include a piece with your breakfast.
Well today I'm happy to say I'm doing alright with that. We have very ripe plums that need to be eaten, so I'm working on those. And I'm making cooked carrots with dinner.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:00 AM

I don't know if you have all seen the new Canada's food guide or not. Yuo put in your personal information (weight, height, age, etc) and it gives you a personalized suggestion for your daily diet. I have to admit I have a problem getting all of what is suggested in each day but if I replace something junky with a fruit it helps. I thought fruit cake would be the ticket but I was told No,,, Just kidding!
My mom seems to have an answer for it. She puts more veggies in a soup if she can for lunch and that is more then she might have done before. She tries to make two veggies for supper instead of one kind and if it is interesting enough then it replaces the total amount of pasta you might have had on your plate or Veggies as a side dish and another veggie mixed in the pasta to make it a double serving for supper. There are many tricks like making sure there is celery and onion in your salmon or egg salad sandwich for lunch.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
The thing is, North America is the most overfed but undernurish population in the world, just look around...everything is highly processed, with artificial this or that, reg. produce is loaded with pestecides and fertilizers and most of it even irradiated, almost every packaged food has sugar or high fructose corn syrup, and to top it up when it makes it home, it gets cook the hell out or microwaved.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 AM
New User: cough cough

I totally agree with you. But on the other hand We usually eat least amount of fruit and veg per day without much effort.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:06 AM

Smile

Vitamins are substances we need for our body to function normally. Children that are deficient in vitamins suffer from the different symptoms and signs specific to the vitamin they lack.

Tags
vemma , vemma next