Old 08-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

Default Soy beverage instead of mike

Can fortified soy beverages completely replace milk?

If not, what can serve as milk replacement for lactose intolerant folks?

Thanks a lot.

Paul
Old 08-15-2008, 09:05 PM

Yep, soy or rice milks can replace regular cow's milk. If vitamins are lacking, there's no hassle with adding a supplement in there, too.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:57 PM

I am extremely lactose intolerant, but if you have less problems than me, there is Lactaid, a lactose-free milk. I appear to be somewhat soy intolerant too, so I like almond milk. Some brands have a decent amount of calcium, as do almonds themselves if they're soaked (easier to break down the calcium).
Old 08-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsey View Post
I am extremely lactose intolerant, but if you have less problems than me, there is Lactaid, a lactose-free milk. I appear to be somewhat soy intolerant too, so I like almond milk. Some brands have a decent amount of calcium, as do almonds themselves if they're soaked (easier to break down the calcium).
This sounds like my daughter... allergic to soy and can't drink regular milk. I've been buying Lactaid milk and we all use it now and are very used to it. I've had soy milk for health kicks but I just wouldn't be able to get used to it as a milk replacement.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpzpzp View Post

Don't forget that soy "milk" isn't actually milk at all, so it won't have all the same nutrients, fortified or not. It's "man-made" from soy beans so if I could tolerate milk, I don't think I'd totally switch. The other question was already answered... Lactaid milk. I was expecting it to taste totally different than milk and it's not very different at all.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:08 PM

Embarrassed Confession: Try as I might, I just can't stomach soy milk. I've tried the vanilla flavour, drinking it extra cold, everything I can think of, but no go. Does anyone have any tricks to drinking it at least til you're used to it?
At least I'm drinking 1% milk.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 PM

My wife is lactose intolerant and drinks Lactaid, or some product like that. She says it's not really the same as real milk, but I can't say that I notice the difference.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
Embarrassed Confession: Try as I might, I just can't stomach soy milk. I've tried the vanilla flavour, drinking it extra cold, everything I can think of, but no go. Does anyone have any tricks to drinking it at least til you're used to it?
At least I'm drinking 1% milk.
I have trouble with it, too... it's just a taste that seems "unnatural" to me. I can do pretty well with chocolate (Silk brand, that is... the others have more of an unnatural flavor to me.)

The only one that I "half enjoyed" was a Silk flavor they no longer sell in my area. It was "Very Very Vanilla." It was flavorful enough to cover up that taste I can't get used to.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
My wife is lactose intolerant and drinks Lactaid, or some product like that. She says it's not really the same as real milk, but I can't say that I notice the difference.
It's "different" because all those sugars are missing. (Which is also why it lasts so much longer.) I can tell a bit of a difference when I drink it "straight" but in recipes or in hot chocolate, cereal, etc. I can tell no difference.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpzpzp View Post

Thanks a lot.

Paul
I don't believe it can replace milk, just like I don't believe adult humans "need" to keep drinking cows milk to be healty.

If you are looking into Soy milk, you might want to google the dangers of Soy, or visit: [url]www.westonaprice.org[/url] (one of the sites I remember, enter the site and then click soy on the search bar).
We use to drink soy milk and eat soy products, about 12 years ago just because back then we were told (by the media) it was "miracle health food" and went with the flow. It didn't took long for my husband to react to it and also have thyroid problems, and also our 3 year old daughter (teeth), I'm so glad she nursed until she was 4 and a half years old though, then we started doing what we supposed to do before loading on this "miracle food", and found a lot of inf. my husband is doing much better and my daughter (now 11) has very nice adult teeth.

Last edited by jullee; 01-24-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:55 PM

We use soy milk exclusively as a cow's milk replacement. We use cheese and other predigested forms of "regular" milk to get some of the nutrients that might not be found in the soy millk, but I dobut that one would inadvertently lose nutrients by switching to soy milk if they have a balanced diet.

There are times that I truly believe that the dairy industry is feeding us bad information.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jullee View Post
I don't believe it can replace milk, just like I don't believe adult humans "need" to keep drinking cows milk to be healty.

If you are looking into Soy milk, you might want to google the dangers of Soy, or visit: [url]www.westonaprice.org[/url] (one of the sites I remember, enter the site and then click soy on the search bar).
We use to drink soy milk and eat soy products, about 12 years ago just because back then we were told (by the media) it was "miracle health food" and went with the flow. It didn't took long for my husband to react to it and also have thyroid problems, and also our 3 year old daughter (teeth), I'm so glad she nursed until she was 4 and a half years old though, then we started doing what we supposed to do before loading on this "miracle food", and found a lot of inf. my husband is doing much better and my daughter (now 11) has very nice adult teeth.
Thanks cor your reply.

The website below first got me thinking about milk v.s. soy beverage. And according to these articles, milk is no good either...

[url]http://amazingdiscoveries.org/lactose-intolerance.html[/url]
[url]http://amazingdiscoveries.org/index.php?id=65&searched=dairy&highlight=ajaxSearc h_highlight+AS_ajax_highlight1[/url]

What should we drink then?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:08 AM
New User: cough cough

well, i dont really know the advantages and disadvantages of soy over natural milk. but yes i have heard about it and seen some of my friends taking it regularly with great results
Old 02-15-2009, 04:55 AM

My daughter in law told me that she wanted to cut back on her husband's cholesterol intake so she began using soy milk in his morning cereal. She said he didn't notice the difference and after a few weeks she clued him in and he was happy with the switch.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jullee View Post

As with any other food or beverage, there will be those who develop sensitivities to the substance. This doesn't seem to be a problem for many people, though.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Default Rice Milk over Soy Milk

Careful with soy- it's not as beneficial as everyone thinks it is...

-soy is rated the second most allergenic food , the first being peanuts
-the soybean has a higher phytate content than any other grain or legume that has been studied. This is an acid that blocks the uptake of essential minerals in the intestinal tract. Furthermore, soy seems to be highly resistant to many phytate reducing techniques such as long, slow cooking.
-Currently the FDA is examining health concerns related to the levels of the toxin furan found in soy protein isolate. It is toxic and thought to be carcinogenic (meaning it can cause cancer).

I would suggest rice milk over soy milk.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 PM

I don't like cow milk and swicht to soy milk aswell
some people have problem with the taste, i like my coffee in the morning but have stomag problems so now i warm a cup of soy milk and put one spoon of instant coffee and have no more stomag pain.
I at soy milk to my cereals and at some fruits, like banana or any soft fruit
to make it a bit sweet use some honey.
A i am in my menopauze ant soy also gives you the isoflavones wich regalates the hormones in the hypofise in the brains, and believe my it works, a don't have
problems with my menopauze since i take soy products.