Old 05-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

Default New York's Health Food Kick!

I recently paid a short visit to New York, only about a week long...has anyone else noticed this huge health food kick that everyone there is on? Seriously, all of New York! Most of Jersey, too.

It seems that up there they barely even sell or use iceberg lettuce, because it has 'no nutritional value'....who cares! Its iceberg lettuce! It crunches REALLY WELL!

But, anyone, I stayed with a friend there that was creepy nice and woke me up every morning with a glass of grapefruit juice. I never EVER drink grapefruit juice, but I did with her to be nice...There was nothing unnatural in the house to eat, much to my distress at first...and then, every day for lunch, we would go to the Whole Foods Store, which was right on the corner.

I got hooked on the chicken salads and pasta salads, and I started having vegetables that I couldn't even identify. Then, what was worse, I started getting hooked on them! I was sitting in front of the t.v munching on garlic green beans instead of chips!

Anyway, my body did a MAJOR detox, which apparently it needed. I went to New York 120lbs (and I'm short, so I was just a tiny bit over weight) and I left New York a week and a half later 112 lbs. I also appeared to have healthy skin or once.

I've continued this diet mostly successfully, and I do it successfully because I never say 'Ohhh, no, I can't have that. I'm on a diet.' I allow myself some guilty pleasures once and a while, like a burger every now and then. I haven't lessened the amount I eat, just basically changed what I eat. And oh my god! I like grapefruit juice!!! >.<
Old 05-11-2008, 11:01 AM

I wish we had a Whole Foods here! I visited one when we were in NC and I loved it. We plan on moving there this year. That store was so addicting. Everything looked so incredibly fresh and appetizing. It was scary that it was all good for you! I don't even care that are grocery bill will be more to me it will be worth it.
Congrats on the weight loss!
Old 05-21-2008, 05:23 PM

It's always the best surprise when you jump on a scale and see the numbers go down! Especially when you weren't even trying. Congrats!
Old 05-22-2008, 04:14 AM
Experienced User: Healthy

the best way to lose weight is always to try and make sensible changes to your diet rather than deprive yourself of things you enjoy, and it sounds as if you did that without even realiseing. congratulations!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy23 View Post
I wish we had a Whole Foods here! I visited one when we were in NC and I loved it.
I'd like to be near a place like that, too... but not only do I not know of any locally, I don't think I've ever seen one in my travels, either.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:58 AM

New Yorkers into health food, you coulda knocked me over with a feather when I read that. My impression from the cooking shows on tv has always been that New Yorkers will seriously hurt anyone who gets between them and their junk food
Old 02-15-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badevine View Post
I've continued this diet mostly successfully, and I do it successfully because I never say 'Ohhh, no, I can't have that. I'm on a diet.' I allow myself some guilty pleasures once and a while, like a burger every now and then. I haven't lessened the amount I eat, just basically changed what I eat. And oh my god! I like grapefruit juice!!! >.<
I think you have found the secret of a good diet, a change in eating habits, eating things because you want to and not banning anything. Well done.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 PM

I think that New York City has such a variety of food that this really doesn't surprise me. I have heard they are getting more vegetarian restaurants. All I can say is when I get a chance to visit New York I will not be eating stuff that is good for me.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:44 AM

So do they sell a wholewheat version of those huge pretzels on the streets?

I like grapefruit juice, but I've stopped drinking it because I'm on blood pressure meds, and it says right on the package that you shouldn't take grapefruit with the pills.