Old 02-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default Lemon Juice to start the day

We've had a guest stay here who insists on starting the day with a glass of water with the juice of a lemon squeezed into it. She swears that this kick starts her system, aiding digestion & allowing her body to gain maximum nutrition from each meal. I wondered if there is any truth to this?
Old 02-24-2008, 02:18 PM

There are those who swear by lemon water of lemon and honey water. The effectiveness probably depends on the individual.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:04 PM

I have not heard that but I know when I go out to eat I always get water and lemon. I guess it couldn't hurt to try this.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:24 PM

Default lemon juice

I have heard this. And people seem to say it works. I just haven't tried it yet myself. Maybe I will start and see what happens.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:35 PM

I've heard that it has health benefits, but I'm not familiar with the specifics.

I especially like lemon and honey in tea if I have a cold and a sore throat.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:25 AM

My granny used to use the juice of half a lemon and baking soda cut with about one quarter cup of water. It works like an alka seltzer.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Moo View Post
We've had a guest stay here who insists on starting the day with a glass of water with the juice of a lemon squeezed into it. She swears that this kick starts her system, aiding digestion & allowing her body to gain maximum nutrition from each meal. I wondered if there is any truth to this?
I think it sounds like a good idea and I can't really see anything that would hurt a body. I'm recalling hearing this years ago but if I'm not mistaken, I think it was part of a diet program. I guess a digestion aid would be a good thing when dieting. Interesting topic here... I'll need to check further into it.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 AM

I was sharing some new-found facts with one of my friends (we like to compare notes about things we learned on the internet) and when I told her about the lemon juice in the morning she said that she had read that Mahatma Gandhi started off each morning with a glass of lemon juice in water. If it's good enough for Gandhi...
Old 04-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

I've never heard of that. I don't think it could possible harm you though. I think I like my coffee too much though...
Old 05-06-2008, 09:43 PM

I know this one well and wrote a blog post about health benefits of lemon a long time ago actually. Let me dig...

here it is:
[url]http://healthniche.blogspot.com/2007/11/getting-benefits-out-of-lemons.html[/url]
Healthy News, A Today.com Blog
Old 05-10-2008, 08:47 AM

Thanks HealthNiche. It's interesting to see that lemon juice can help heartburn if taken in water in the evening. I would have thought you'd be best to avoid anything acidic for heartburn, but there you go!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:18 AM
New User: cough cough

I'm with "healthniche". Lemon water in the morning kick-starts your liver into a form of gentle detoxification. Your liver is the organ in the body that needs to process everything you ingest. Even those eating a healthy diet are going to benefit from the extra liver support. Just remember that any form of detoxification can lead to flulike symptoms as your body clears out the cobwebs. Go slow, expecially if you are in poor health.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:54 PM

IT is so funny that things people have been doing for years...Oprah mentions once and its a new craze. It works.....CHEERS
Old 06-07-2008, 03:11 PM

LOL, that's the Oprah effect for you. My grandfather did it all his life according to my mother, so it's not exactly the most up to the minute hot trend.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
she said that she had read that Mahatma Gandhi started off each morning with a glass of lemon juice in water. If it's good enough for Gandhi...
Indeed. I may have to read up on this... I also want to find out what
benefits people who take apple cider vinegar are expecting from it.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:52 PM

I remember fresh lemon juice in water to start the day was a popular thing when I was a teenager (1970's) it was said to help digestion. Lots of people said it worked and I don't think it could do any harm, but I didn't try it.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:41 PM

Yes, this true I am doing this daily in teh morning from last two years. I was facing constipation problem and with this my problem is gone forever. But water should be little warm.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:49 PM

Thumbs up Lemon-Water Does A Body Good!

Actually, even though lemons are acidic by themselves, because of the citric acid, their effect on body chemistry ph is very alkaline. Since they also contain significant amounts of important vitamins and minerals, taking lemon with water every day is a very good idea! A slightely alkaline PH is critical to good health and what I learned about it at [URL="http://offto.net/KeysToHealth/"]http://offto.net/KeysToHealth/[/URL] really blew my mind!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:00 AM

Lemon Juice to start the day is really an interesting for all one can easily start this get so much more benefit for maintain health and fitness.

MonaVie
Old 12-17-2010, 03:39 AM

I prefer orange juice in combination with coffee. Lemon juice with coffee seems a little bit to much for me in early morning.