Old 01-18-2010, 08:44 PM
New User: cough cough

Smile Some ideas on my new eating plan if you would please

Hello all,
I was recently told by my doctor that I am on the borderline for type 2 diabetes. My father, brother and uncle have it as well. I was also told I have very high cholesterol as well and my mother struggled with that for years.

I have decided to modify my eating as much as possible and get exercising to see if I can stop going any farther towards the diabetes and reduce the cholesterol. So many people are giving me so much advice that it is very overwhelming.
I am 41 and have four children. I am not a total couch potato but if I can drive somewhere I do I do weigh 100 pounds over what I should and I do know that this is very very unhealthy.

Anyhow after my diagnoses last week I decided that I need to drastically reduce the crappy food I eat and be more aware of what I do eat. This week I have cut out all fried food. I bought a steamer and have steamed veggies for dinner every night with a small portion (palm sized) piece of lean meat twice a week and steamed or baked fish twice a week. I have cut my margarine use in half or more on veggies and use sour cream on my potatoes instead. I am not a sweet or junk food eater per say but I would have a bowl of potato chips with the kids on movie night on Saturday nights as a treat. This Saturday I made a big bowl of popcorn and put on a teeny bit of margarine instead. Maybe 2 tbsp on a huge bowl. I don't eat cookies or cakes or candy so I don't have to change anything there.

I have some fried rice (1 cup brown rice, veggies and a bit of soya sauce fried with Pam instead of margarine or oil) for lunch a few times a week and other times I make a huge veggie sandwich with cucumbers, lettuce, red peppers and other assorted veggies I have in the fridge. If there are left over veggies I may heat that up the next day for lunch.

I am not a fruit eater but am making sure I have either an apple or orange or banana at least once a day, usually for my breakfast - I absolutely detest fruit and those 3 are the only ones I can get own. Hopefully as the change of eating goes along I may get a taste for fruit but as of now I can't see that happening.

Anyhow aside from turning my eating around, I walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes every day for this week, next week I will bump it up a bit if I feel ready to.

Does this seem like a well rounded healthy eating plan to you? I have talked to a couple friends who say I need to add more fatty stuff and a couple say I am still having too much fatty stuff. IDK what to think really lol. I am not hungry and I know that everything I have has been carefully cooked with out any added fat so I am thinking I am doing pretty good. I just would like to steer clear of the diabetes and bring down my cholesterol and lose weight in the process. I was just wondering if anyone had some advise on what I have posted.
Please tell me if you think it sounds alright and if not, please let me know why so I can learn more.

TY in advance
Old 01-23-2010, 09:55 PM
New User: cough cough

Hi Violetmoon - Good on your for making a positive change to change your lifestyle! What you will find is that everyone is an diet expert and there are always things to criticize when it comes to someone's eating habits. Even the most highly educated professionals have conflicting thoughts.
At a glance your diet looks pretty good! Personally, I would switch over to butter versus margarine. Some brands of margarine contain trans fats.
Two questions for you;
1) How long have you been sticking to this lifestyle change? Your diet sounds pretty good right now and you seem to know what is good and what is bad. I would focus on trying to keep up your healthy habits for at least three weeks. Then refine your eating a bit more.
2) What are you drinking? A flawless diet can be sabotaged by too much milk, pop and fruit juices.

Tim
freelancefitness.blogspot.com