Old 08-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default How do you get something out of the ear?

For a grown up, my son can be daft sometimes. He's got cotton wool stuck in his ear that came off a cotton bud that's annoying him. He won't see a dr to get it removed so any ideas? It's too far in to see it and grab it with tweezers but I don't see any way he could get it out without going to the doc's.

I think I heard something before about using olive oil for things stuck in the ear but with it being fibrous, I think that would just clump it up. Will it work its own way out eventually?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

Hmm. When I read the title, I was going to immediately suggest hydrogen peroxide to bubble out whatever was in there, but for cotton bud, that's probably not going to help much.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:53 PM

I honestly think that he should go to a Dr. to get this removed. It is just to easy to do irreparable damage to the ear.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:17 PM

Default something in ear

I agree I think the best thing to do for something like this would be to take him to the doctor. Trying to get it out yourself could cause more damage.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:27 AM

Definitely see a doctor. The ER typically has a machine that can remove ear wax so it might not be too bothersome for them to get it out.
I definitely wouldn't leave it!
Healthy News, A Today.com Blog
Old 08-13-2008, 01:17 PM

Please don't let him mess around with his ears, it is so easy to cause lasting damage. He needs to see a doctor to get it removed, if he leaves it there it could collect matter around it and lead to infection.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:05 AM

I agree with everyone; he is risking his hearing and his health if the bud gets infected, which could happen quite easily. The ER or his doctor can suction it out, and check on his ear drum, to make sure it isn't damaged. Our grownup sons can get up to some strange stuff, no? Mine keeps trying to break bones in basketball pick-ups.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
I agree with everyone; he is risking his hearing and his health if the bud gets infected, which could happen quite easily. The ER or his doctor can suction it out, and check on his ear drum, to make sure it isn't damaged. Our grownup sons can get up to some strange stuff, no? Mine keeps trying to break bones in basketball pick-ups.
Adding my 2 cents to see the doc here... if it's too far in there for someone to easily remove it for him, it could cause terrible problems.

About the basketball, it's not just sons. My daughter has nasty memories of a basketball injury involving a jammed finger. Ouch!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 AM

Thanks guys and gals. I know, I kept telling him that too! But he was too embarrassed.

Luckily, here's an update, he managed to get it out by pinching his nose and popping his ears the way you do if you're on a flight. Somehow it worked its way back along with the pressure and out it came thank goodness. Honestly, it's like having a five year old sometimes!

Is hydrogen peroxide really safe to put in your ears? I'd never have done that in a million years.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
Somehow it worked its way back along with the pressure and out it came thank goodness. Honestly, it's like having a five year old sometimes!

Is hydrogen peroxide really safe to put in your ears? I'd never have done that in a million years.
I'm glad to hear that he was able to get the cotton out. And yes, it is surely like having a 5 year old sometimes, no matter how old they get.

Peroxide in the ear? Hmmm... never heard of that one, but I *did* have a dentist tell me to swish it around in my mouth for a few minutes for a gum problem once. Not sure that's sound advice.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:04 AM

I'm so glad to hear that he got it out, too!

And yes, hydrogen peroxide is safe to put in your ears. In fact, we used to use it to clean ours out when I was younger because the doctor recommended it. It doesn't go all the way down in the ear or anything....just put in a few drops, move the head around a bit, and then tilt it so that the peroxide runs back out.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:05 AM

And yes, swishing it in your mouth is good advice as well. It's great at cleaning out and it's perfectly safe. Why do you guys feel like it's so dangerous to use? It's a 'good' thing, lol.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
For a grown up, my son can be daft sometimes. He's got cotton wool stuck in his ear that came off a cotton bud that's annoying him. He won't see a dr to get it removed so any ideas? It's too far in to see it and grab it with tweezers but I don't see any way he could get it out without going to the doc's.

I think I heard something before about using olive oil for things stuck in the ear but with it being fibrous, I think that would just clump it up. Will it work its own way out eventually?
Serenity, if it was my son (who can be daft as well), I would get him to the doc by hook of by crook. I think it's a infection waiting to happen, and that could ultimately lead to hearing loss and/or balance problems.
If he absolutely won't go and he's too big to shift, I'd try some hydrogen peroxide, leaving it in ten to fifteen minutes. It might bubble it up to where you could get it out with tweezers.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 AM

Molly, I think getting someone to the doctor is easier said than done sometimes. If you nag too much they stop telling you what is wrong and I would rather know. My husband is a bit of an immovable object when it comes to getting him to the doctor, so I know how frustrating it can be.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:55 PM

I've used hydrogen peroxide in mine and my family's ears for years with no ill effect. It's good to shift stubborn earwax. That's another one of my granny's home remedies.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justontime View Post
Molly, I think getting someone to the doctor is easier said than done sometimes. If you nag too much they stop telling you what is wrong and I would rather know. My husband is a bit of an immovable object when it comes to getting him to the doctor, so I know how frustrating it can be.
Just, I know just what you mean. My husband's parents only took him to the doctor as a boy when he had a fever of over 100 with an ear infection; I think that soured him of doctors forever. My son is a total doctor-hater himself. My daughter's never minded it, though. I used to tell Hubby and Son that I had to work with all these doctors, so if they could refrain from snarling and biting the docs I'd really appreciate it...
That being said, there are times when ya just gotta go...!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
I've used hydrogen peroxide in mine and my family's ears for years with no ill effect. It's good to shift stubborn earwax. That's another one of my granny's home remedies.
I'm glad someone else was familiar with this. I went and called my mom right after posting the last time just to double check that I wasn't insane, lol.