Old 06-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default Palpitations?

Are palpitations are a sign of heart disease or simply a stress response? My husband prides himself on never going to the doctor - it drives me crazy!- but he's been having these on and off for about a month now. He's under a lot of pressure at work but also has a family history of heart disease.

I need to talk him into a doctor visit but he won't hear of it. Anyone know anything they can share please?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:21 PM

I have heard that heart palpitations can be caused from high stress but he really needs to have this checked out by a doctor. Especially with his history.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:51 PM

I heard that heart palpitations can be caused by hypertention, but it is always a good idea to have it checked out.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:15 PM

How much coffee does he drink in a day? Caffeine can cause heart palpitations as well.

I wouldn't hurt for him to see a doctor, though. At least you would know the cause after he is checked, even though he might refuse to change his diet or habits.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:55 PM

I never even thought about the coffee. But I have heard that also. Does he drink a lot of coffee or caffeine even?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:15 PM

Lots of good advice here. When I used to work outside my home, I had palpitations several times a day, sometimes feeling as if my heart was up in my throat. Since I work at home now, it is very rarely that I feel it, so in my case it was stress. However, I think any time something happens with the heart that concerns you, it's off to the doctor's.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Active User: Feeling Good

I was getting heart palpitations a few years ago and they were scaring me to death. I cut down my caffeine after doing some reading and they stopped completely. Now if I go over my typical max # of cups of coffee a day they come back. Maybe suggest he switch to decaf after 3 cups and see if that helps?
Healthy News, A Today.com Blog
Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 PM

I am going to try decaf and see if that helps. Like I stated I drink way to much coffee so cutting back can only help with a lot of things.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:14 AM
Active User: Feeling Good

Too much caffeine is a definate factor as well as a lot of stress. But, we're not doctors here and a check-up should definately be something your husband goes in for.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:34 PM
New User: cough cough

I agree with you. A large quantity of Coffee is a cause of Palpitations.
Palpitations is an extremely common symptom .