Old 12-11-2008, 02:17 PM
New User: cough cough

Question numb finger and burning sensation in upper back... pinched nerve or soemthing else?

Hello,

About 3 weeks ago a portion of my left index finger, on the left side of the finger between the first and second knuckles went numb. I made a doctors appointment to get it checked out, which is next Thursday. Just today my upper back, around the spine, is hurting and has a tingling/burning sort of sensation, and I am wondering if this is just a possible pinched nerve or could it be something more serious? I just wanted to know if I should see someone sooner about this? It's starting to worry me!

Thanks for any advice!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

I don't see the relation yet because of the timing between the two but there could be. I would see if I could speed up the appointment because of the back problem and sometimes if you let your doctors office know you need a sooner appointment they will hold you for a cancellation if there is not spot for you, or go to a clinic now and keep the other appointment as well. How old are you? Do you work with heavy items? There are lots of questions that could answer this for now and also keeping a list of pain by the day would help your doctor when you do see him/her.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

It could be something that a chiropractor could take care of with aligning the vertebrae, but I agree a doctor's visit is the first thing that should happen. Until you can get it, it wouldn't be remiss to put a little hot and cold (every 15 minutes change)packs on your upper spine where you're feeling the discomfort.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:14 PM

I think the two things are probably unrelated, but you can ask about both of them when you see the doctor. Let us know how you get on.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:39 AM

I also found it to be unrelated because if a section of your back has suffered an injury and ends up showing a result in the limb it is usually more then a small section of a finger, I would expect there to be a numbing or lack of response by the whole arm but I suppose there is different reactions by different people too. I am interested in hearing what is going on when the OP gets some results from the doctors office. I hope it is nothing but a muscle cramp in the back that will go away. The finger thing could be something like carpal tunnel or something going on in the hand or wrist area I would guess.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereToday View Post
It could be something that a chiropractor could take care of with aligning the vertebrae, but I agree a doctor's visit is the first thing that should happen. Until you can get it, it wouldn't be remiss to put a little hot and cold (every 15 minutes change)packs on your upper spine where you're feeling the discomfort.

I must respectfully disagree.

The last thing you should do is let someone manipulate your neck while you are having symptoms.

I sounds like you may have pressure on one of the root nerves between c-3 and c-5. Checking with your doctor AND getting some imaging, either an x-ray or MRI is your best bet!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:41 PM

I must dissagree as well. The pain in the back is probably pressure on the nerves in the back and you never go to a chiropractor first, at least I don't. An x-ray is the first step and an investigation by your doctor of what might have happened so he can help determine what is the problem.
I don't believe in self treating or chiropractors until a doctor makes the recommendations.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:25 PM

Have you seen your doctor yet? I would be interested to know what was causing your problems. I hope you are feeling better now.