Old 07-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default Back Pain From Tossing And Turning?

Have you ever heard of someone waking up with a sore back from literally tossing and turning at night?

I was wondering if someone could pull muscles by suddenly turning in bed at night after being in the same position for several hours.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:36 PM

I can't see why not. Muscles are pulled because we don't use them a whole lot. Not that you don't use your back muscles but in the case of a sudden tossing and turning at night you might have used muscles that you don't usually get to use in normal daily use because they are not needed as much for those activities, much like someone who walks all day every day but suddenly decides to take a half mile run which uses different muscles or over extends the ones used normally for walking. I have always had a strong back so I was told and still did manage to put it out by lifting something more then I was used to and have even woke up with a cramp in my back possibly from the same thing. Could it also be from having slept on a different mattress at someone elses house at that time or even days before or did you buy a new mattress at the time?
I heard people say they changed their bedroom around and found they woke up crampy and had to change it back. I don't think it was the direction as related to the moon as some would tell you as much as maybe the direction made them want to sleep on the other side to face something like the bedroom door like always and causing the cramp because they were sleeping more on the wrong side. I have found that when I move to a new house I take some getting used to the new direction so now I make sure my bed is placed in a similar possition to what my old room was like if I can. We have finally worked ourselves up to the house we have been working towards for a long time so we hope to be here long enough to retire in it so hopefully this was my last move and won't have to go through that again as long as a fire or earthquake does not hit us.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

It could be the mattress itself. Broken down old mattresses lead to back pain. Thing is, we may not know when the mattress needs to be changed, because that's what we're used to. But then, it's an expensive thing to replace, and we may balk at spending that much money. No wonder people toss and turn alot.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:36 PM

Could be that too. I have heard of people who balk at the price of a new one sticking a piece of ply wood under the old one and finding some relief. A short time fix but some find it works.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:06 AM

IF you find that you toss and turn when you can't sleep, it is probably best to get out of bed for a while.

Even with the perfect mattress, you could still be creating muscle fatigue that makes the next day almost impossible to cope with.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:06 PM

I try not to go to bed until I am tired and then I have a few tricks that help. I think I move maybe 2 or three times during the night but I know if I was tossing I would not be able to get up,,, I keep a water bottle on my night stand and when I wake up wanting some water it looks like it is a mile away from me for some reason and I wake up in the morning wondering why I was too freaking lazy to reach for it so getting up might be like pulling teeth for me, good thing I don't get that restless at night. Possibly my meds help me sleep so that is a good thing too.
A person has to ask themselves, are they tossing because they are uncomfortable or because they are just not tired or even if it is because they are nervous about not hearing the alarm or about the next day, maybe work is on the mind keeping them awake. I know if I keep my room comfortable and clutter free I seem to sleep much better. I do remember when my sister and I were allowed to make our bedrooms in the basement as kids (which was really cool for us) we had a nice set up but there was more stuff down there and I found myself looking at things in the dark and seeing different figures from it. I know just from thinking back that I probably lost sleep over it but who is counting when you are a kid... I am a big believer that if your most important room in the house is your bedroom you will find your best rest in there, and that means decor as well as comfort and warmth or even a breeze. I have other rooms in the house that are my rest area including a room with a hospital bed that has lift motors on it and if I have a pain that needs elevation I can go in there for a sleep, some might just need a comfy couch to lie on for a restless night. I know a lady who has a private room with a day bed and all of her very own stuff in it and she sleeps in there if she is being hit with an insomnia thing.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:12 PM

Something else,, is the spouse making you loose sleep because of snoring or their tossing? Not that we should start splitting bedrooms but maybe a night apart now and then might refresh the sleep pattern.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:41 PM

My wife and I usually wake the other if we're bothered by snoring.

I'm having some back problems again today, and I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Actually in my case, the tossing I do is every night and not only when I can't sleep.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:52 PM

Then I would tend to think your mattress is the problem, might not even be that it is old but maybe too hard or soft for you,,, WHat about a memory foam or feather bed on top?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 PM

Many times if I find I'm tossing and turning a lot, I'll get out of bed and lie on the sofa. Sometimes just the simple fact of being out of the bed helps me to relax and fall to sleep.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:28 PM

Many things can cause problems with your back. Sleeping position can cause pain, I have put my back out by coughing in the past, often it is a small fairly ordinary thing that sets the back off.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:20 PM

I have certainly put my back out while in bed, I think it has to do with my sleeping position.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeshaa View Post
I had back problem and my every morning was like a hell for me. I consult a physiotherapist for this and he advice me to change the mattress. I changed the mattress and now I am feeling well but however sometime I got the feeling of same pain again.
We couldn't afford a new mattress, but we did get a foam, form shaping cushion on the top of the mattress and that helped quite a bit.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:01 AM
New User: cough cough

Hey...
The best way to start is to think of an activity that you enjoy, and do it!!