Old 04-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default Did you develop asthma as an adult?

I developed Asthma in my mid thirties. I had never smoked in my life and I had always lived in a smoke free home, but I had a bad bout of bronchitis and after that I was diagnosed with asthma. Now ten years later I am really sensitive to aerosol sprays, strong smells, cold air, pollen, in fact all sorts of things set me off. Has anyone else developed asthma as an adult?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

I haven't, nor have I even heard of it. That had to be disappointing news for you!
Old 04-25-2008, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey Anne View Post
I haven't, nor have I even heard of it. That had to be disappointing news for you!
It frustrates me because I don't really understand why I developed asthma. They say that more people are getting it because of pollution and things. Most of the time I cope OK, but when I get a cold the asthma really starts to play up and it takes ages to settle down again.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:32 PM

I have never know anyone that developed it in their adulthood. I know I had it when younger but have since grown out of it. That's terrible that you now have to deal with asthma.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justontime View Post
It frustrates me because I don't really understand why I developed asthma. They say that more people are getting it because of pollution and things. Most of the time I cope OK, but when I get a cold the asthma really starts to play up and it takes ages to settle down again.
Adult onset asthma isn't that uncommon. Many times it is the way an allergy expresses itself later in life.

I suffered from asthma for about 10 years and was using an inhaler.
A couple of times it got bad enough that I had to go to the ER for treatment. When I got rid of my cats, because I couldn't spend time taking care of them, my asthma went with them!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:49 AM

I was diagnosed with asthma when I was 20 years old, up until now it has luckily been controllable with albuterol - I am now 29
Old 07-07-2008, 03:23 PM

I am not having asthma. But this is not strange that you are dealing with asthma in your 30's do you have a dog at your home. As i have read an article about asthma somewhere i don't remember where in that article it is mentioned that due to dogs hair anyone can get asthma in any age.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:56 PM

Can asthma develop if you keep exposing yourself to things your body reacts to as allergens? Many of us could be in trouble, in that case.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:48 AM

Lindsey, your question set me thinking. I found this link which contains some interesting information about asthma. In my case asthma was diagnosed after a severe bout of bronchitis.
[url]http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=36&sectionId=5[/url]
Old 10-14-2008, 08:57 PM

I actually developed it late in my teens and it was after a really serious case of bronchitis. I got better over time and I don't consider myself to truly have asthma now, but I can't really get sick without having major trouble breathing either.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:09 PM

Liza that is how mine started, a cold became bronchitis and the cough was terrible and it just wouldn't go. It has happened several times since and even on 'normal' days the cough is the worst symptom of my asthma.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:32 AM

Default Environmental?

One of the cities we used to live in had a couple of companies that supplied landscapers with mulch and material like that, they kept huge uncovered mounds of this organic (or purported to be organic) material in their yards. It had an adverse respiratory impact on people living within two or three blocks. Of course, they were well connected with the zoning agency so they never technically broke the law, but they truly caused a lot of misery to a lot of people.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:52 AM
New User: cough cough

i am allergic to sea food....when i eat i have problem with my breath, even a person sitting next to me can hear my breath clearly...i dont know what kind of allergy is this.......any idea?