Old 02-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default Are There Healthy Colon Foods?

I can't recall exactly, but I'm sure I've heard of some foods in the past that were supposed to help with colon cancer prevention. Does anyone know what they are?

Last edited by katharina; 02-11-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:23 AM

Yes indeed, Katharina, high fibre foods are good for your colon. Oatmeal is a good one, bran muffins are yummy and good for your colon. Fruits and veggies are good for you as well. The fibre drinks like Citracal are helpful once a day. Prunes and juice are good as well. Anything that sits in your colon for a longer time, such as meat, isn't good for the colon. Food that travels through in a quicker manner, foods that help you have regular bowel movement and foods that help to "clean" off any deposits in the colon are OK.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:32 PM

My doctor told me about a lecture on the subject. If I recall correctly, in an African country where black beans are widely used in the diet, there are almost no cases of colon cancer.

Black beans are high in fibre, too.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:14 PM

High fiber foods are usually suggested as prevention. I hadn't heard about the African country and black beans. Did the study take environmental factors into account?

Last edited by SageMother; 02-10-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
Yes indeed, Katharina, high fibre foods are good for your colon. Oatmeal is a good one, bran muffins are yummy and good for your colon. Fruits and veggies are good for you as well. The fibre drinks like Citracal are helpful once a day. Prunes and juice are good as well. Anything that sits in your colon for a longer time, such as meat, isn't good for the colon. Food that travels through in a quicker manner, foods that help you have regular bowel movement and foods that help to "clean" off any deposits in the colon are OK.
All good suggestions, yes. It's important to keep in mind, also, that some patients have digestion or bowel problem that prevents the intake of these high fiber foods, though.. that makes finding colon-friendly foods a lot more difficult. As one example, ulcerative colitis patients often can't have all these wonder foods that are good for the colon.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageMother View Post
High fiber foods are usually suggested as prevention. I hadn't heard about the African country and black beans. Did the study take environmental factors into account?
From what I remember, the study probably dealt more with specific diet, rather than environmental factors.

But my doctor seemed to think that there was a very real relationship between the diet and the infrequency of colon cancer in that area.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 AM
Active User: Feeling Good

Vegetables are the best route to take when thinking about taking care of your colon.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:03 PM

High fibres and healthy protein diet is good diet for colon cancer patient. Low fat diet is also recommended in this type of cancer. Alcohol should be avoided. You can take milk also, as calcium and vitamin D is also required in this disease.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:34 PM

Junk food and sweets aren't good for your colon either.
An apology about what I said earlier about fibre, forgetting that those with IBS etc can't eat those very foods.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:50 AM

This link may be helpful in understanding how to keep your colon healthy. We are all a bit shy about talking about colon/bowel issues and it is really important that we start to do so because it could save a life.
[url]http://beatingbowelcancer.org/new/[/url]

Last edited by justontime; 07-16-2008 at 04:01 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:46 AM

Are hot peppers effective in preventing colon problems?

I've heard that said by a few people, but I've never really heard an official explanation as to why that would be the case.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:53 AM

I heard foods with antioxidents in them, Chocolate (dark only) red and purple drinks like wine, grape juice, cranberry juice and dark green veggies. I also heard beans and fibre.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:38 PM

Default colon foods

Fibre in general and broccoli in particular clean and portect the colon. I have also seen recent studies that say vitamin D and calcium can help prevent colorectal cancer.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:46 AM
New User: cough cough

In this case u should eat boild rice , bananas , green teas , yogurt , almonds , peanuts , these are all anti-inflammatory foods and these goods are really good for colon and for controling inflammation in the colon .